SA supports faculty's call for budget details

10.19.11.news.SA
10.19.11.news.SA

The Assembly resolution provides support for a faculty resolution from May 10, which demanded that the administration provide faculty members with a detailed explanation of the College's expenses and cuts. Of the approximately 25 students present at the Assembly meeting, all voted in favor of the resolution with the exception of two members.

The administration responded with a report at the next Faculty of Arts and Sciences Meeting on May 23, but faculty members, unsatisfied with the presentation, asked for a more detailed report by the end of Fall term 2011. The next faculty meeting is scheduled for Oct. 24, according to Student Body President Max Yoeli '12.

While the faculty resolution demanded a budget breakdown in increments of $1 million, the Assembly called for smaller increments to reflect changes such as increased fees for transfer students, which affect students but do not necessarily show up in larger budget summaries.

The goal of the resolution is to pressure College administrators to be more forthcoming about Dartmouth's budget, former Assembly speaker Rohail Premjee '14 said.

"The faculty has already pushed for it, staff is pushing for it and I think it's time for students to push for it," Travis Blalock '12, who attended the meeting, said.

Blalock, who led the Assembly discussion, spoke adamantly about the importance of the Assembly stance on the issue and encouraged Assembly members to support the resolution throughout his pitch. Blalock sponsored the resolution, but was not authorized to vote on the resolution since he is not an Assembly member.

"I heard about the faculty meeting back in the spring and I read the documents," Blalock said. "I think it's very realistic that the College could come up with these numbers quite easily, but I don't expect the administration to do anything."

Other students on the Assembly spoke in agreement with Blalock, citing how small fee changes while minimal in terms of the College's revenue have a large impact on students' lives.

Will Hix '12, parliamentarian of the Assembly, noted a rise in Dartmouth Dining Service fees and study abroad fees, accompanied with the introduction of loans to financial aid packages for families making at least $75,000 per year.

Assembly member Patrick Campbell '15 voiced concerns about whether the administration's budget changes were doing enough to limit these loans in the future.

Edwin Yung '15, who was selected to serve as the Assembly speaker at the meeting, said the resolution is pertinent to the Assembly's goals.

"It's completely an apolitical issue, about finding how the budget changes are affecting the campus and students," Yung said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

Assembly members also discussed the ongoing search for the permanent Office of Pluralism and Leadership director during the meeting. Student Body Vice President Amrita Sankar '12 said OPAL has told the Assembly that a new director will be in place by January 2012. Pam Misener, the advisor to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students, is currently serving as the acting director of OPAL.

The Assembly will also select two student representatives to coordinate the OPAL director's integration into campus life, according to Sankar.

During the Assembly meeting, a number of students were selected for positions on the Assembly's executive board including Nigel Mills '15 as secretary and Alex Judson '14 as treasurer.

The Assembly also outlined a number of plans for Homecoming weekend, including alcohol awareness cards with pertinent information about the Good Samaritan policy and students' rights in case of arrest.

The Assembly also plans to email a DDS survey to the student community, asking for feedback about students' experiences at the Class of 1953 Commons.