Men's golf stages comeback for first victory since 2009

10.10.11.sports.mrugby
10.10.11.sports.mrugby

MEN'S GOLF

Trailing Campbell University with only Peter Williamson '12 and Joey Maziar '14 left on the course, the Dartmouth golf team staged a massive comeback in Sunday's action in the Big 5 Invitational at Plymouth Country Club in Philadelphia.

Williamson and Maziar approached the 14th tee needing to make up several shots to regain the first-round lead it had built on Saturday. Williamson finished the final five holes two under par, while Maziar shot even par to clinch a six-shot victory for the Big Green.

Dartmouth ended Saturday's play on the par 70 course at six over par, leading the University of Pennsylvania by four strokes and Campbell by six. Williamson and Maziar led the way with scores of 69 and a 70, placing them in second and fourth place, respectively. The Big Green finished strong to record its first tournament win since 2009 and its first away-from-home win in over a decade.

Dartmouth finished first of 22 teams, including six from the Ivy League Penn, Harvard University, Princeton University, Yale University, Cornell University and Brown University. The Big Green followed up its score of 286 on Saturday with a 292 on Sunday, finishing with 578 overall, 18 over par.

Williamson finished in second place at one under par. Maziar finished in fourth at two over, while James Pleat '13 and Charlie Edler '15 rounded out the Big Green golfers in the top 50, finishing tied for 14th and tied for 48th, respectively.

Dartmouth plays in the New England Invitational next weekend, its final tournament of the fall season.

WOMEN'S RUGBY

The Dartmouth women's rugby team lost a back-and-forth match to Princeton University over the weekend, 31-24.

The Big Green rallied back valiantly from a 12-0 deficit in the first half of play, and then again from a 15-7 halftime deficit, taking a 24-18 lead on a try from Ashley Afranie-Sakyi '13 in the second half.

The team failed to put any more points on the board, however, and lost the lead in the 66th minute when the Tigers took a 28-24 advantage.

Dartmouth put up points with four tries two from Afranie-Sakyi, one from Karoline Walter '13 and one from Katie Gulemi '11 and two conversions, both from Walter.

Ginna Roach '12 also played a strong game on both sides of the ball.

"We need to work on going into contact [because] we had a lot of turnovers," Roach said, adding that the Big Green must also improve on its set pieces. "Every game is a learning opportunity for us."

Dartmouth's next match is against Yale University on Saturday at 11 a.m. The Big Green hopes to use the game as preparation ahead of a big match against Harvard University in two weeks.MEN'S RUGBY

The Dartmouth men's rugby team defeated Brown University, 24-17, on Saturday to remain undefeated in League play. The Big Green came out flat in the early minutes of the game, but fought and emerged with a victory over a scrappy Brown team.

Brown took a quick 5-0 lead, but the Big Green bounced back to tie the score on a try by Madison Hughes '15. Dartmouth fell behind again, 10-5, but took a 12-10 lead into halftime.

Brown scored next in this rollercoaster match, before the Big Green took the lead for good on a try by Chris MacNaughton '13 and a conversion by Justin Ciambella '13. Soon after, Kevin Clark '14 embarked on a 78-meter run and completed a successful try to put Dartmouth up, 24-17.

The Big Green sealed the victory with impressive defense for the remainder of the match.

Dartmouth, which has won all four of its matches against League opponents this season, next plays Princeton University on Saturday at 10 a.m.