Baird '12 sets kills record in volleyball's win over Princeton

10.31.11.sports.Volleyball
10.31.11.sports.Volleyball

With a record-breaking performance by Madeline Baird '12, the Dartmouth women's volleyball team defeated Princeton University in Hanover on Friday night. Baird shattered the Dartmouth all-time kills record of 1,180 kills held by Anne Murray '00 and now has 1,208 kills in her collegiate career.

The Big Green (13-8, 5-5 Ivy) failed to sustain its momentum on Saturday night, however, falling to the University of Pennsylvania and ending its three-game winning streak.

Dartmouth jumped out to an early lead on Friday against Princeton (15-7, 8-2 Ivy), which fell from first place in the Ivy League with the loss. The Big Green opened the set with a six-point run, with the first three points coming off kills by Meghan Cooney '14.

Dartmouth maintained a solid lead throughout the beginning of the set, but a four-point run by Princeton brought the Tigers within two points at 15-13. Despite the Tigers' efforts, the Big Green retained its lead and sealed the victory, 25-20.

Although the Big Green held the lead for the majority of the second set, Princeton dug deep and took 14 of the last 20 points. The Tigers took the second set, 25-19, tying up the match.

Baird also hit her record-breaking kill, a well-placed strike down the far line, in the set. Baird called the record-setting moment "definitely one of the most memorable moments of my life."

"The whole crowd stood up and cheered so loudly and my whole team encircled me because they knew that I had broken the record," Baird said. "It felt so amazing to know how much support our team has for each other."

Dartmouth rebounded with a 25-19 win in the third set and a seemingly unstoppable run in the fourth set. Down 10-9, the team took 14 of the next 16 points for a 23-12 lead. Three combined blocks highlighted the run, and all were assisted in some way by Alex Schoenberger '15.

Co-captain Annie Villanueva '12 and Schoenberger each made a kill within the last five points, leading the Big Green to a 25-15 win. Dartmouth won the match, 3-1.

"It's great to knock off a team that is number one in the League," Kendall Houston '12 said. "It just goes to show that any team can beat any team in this League."

Princeton's .143 hitting percentage paled in comparison to Dartmouth's .303, and the Tigers had only one service ace to Dartmouth's seven.

The Big Green sought to extend its success on Saturday night against Penn (7-13, 3-7 Ivy), but fell in a hard-fought 3-2 loss.

The Big Green dropped the first two sets, but battled back to tie the match at two each. Penn eked out a 15-12 win in the final set of the match, propelling the Quakers to their third win in the League this season.

Dartmouth failed to settle into a rhythm in the beginning of the match and fell in the first set, 25-22. The team members began to work together effectively in the second set, but their improved play was not enough to salvage an early 15-9 deficit.

The Big Green lost 25-23, but it dominated play in the third set with a decisive 25-16 win. Building momentum, Dartmouth hit .359 in the fourth set to secure a 25-20 win, tying the match.

Villanueva said the comeback was indicative of the team's spirit throughout the matches.

"The fact that we were able to come back and battle so hard really showed our tenacity," she said.

The climactic fifth set went back and forth, with neither team controlling play. With the scored tied at 11, Penn gained an edge with three straight points two of which were kills. Although Dartmouth defended one of three match points on a kill from Baird, Penn ultimately prevailed.

Lucia Pohlman '15 totaled 10 kills, 10 assists and 23 digs for her first career triple-double. Pohlman is the first player to record a triple-double since Houston did so at the beginning of last season.

Baird and Alissa Santa Maria '13 each recorded double-doubles.

The Big Green, which currently sits in fourth place in the League, plays Cornell University and Columbia University this weekend on the team's final road trip of the season.

**The original article incorrectly stated that Ashley Dean '02 previously held the record for career kills. In fact, Anne Murray '00 held the record for career kills while Dean holds the record for kills in a single game, according to women's volleyball record book.*