After outplaying Lions, women's soccer loses in last minute

by Taylor Malmsheimer | 10/23/11 10:00pm

7381_article_photo
10.24.11.sports.WSoccer
by Dani Wang and Dani Wang / The Dartmouth

The Big Green scored first with a goal in the last minute of the first half by Tasha Wilkins '15. Wilkins received a perfectly placed cross from outside back Kelly Brait '14 and kept her composure to finish her third goal of the season.

Dartmouth held the lead until the 83rd minute of play, when Columbia senior Liz Wicks scored unassisted on a loose ball that the Big Green was unable to clear out of its penalty box.

The Big Green reapplied its offensive pressure following Columbia's goal, but was again unable to contain Wicks, who scored her second goal of the game and the year in the 90th minute, also on a loose ball in the penalty box.

The Big Green statistically dominated the Lions, outshooting them by an 11-6 margin. Wilkins led all players with three shots and co-captain Ally Dutton '12 contributed two shots.

Defensively, Dartmouth goalie Tatiana Saunders '15 recorded three saves, while Columbia's senior goalie Lilian Klein recorded four.

The Big Green seemed to be in control for most of the game, and began to heat up in the 15th minute when it took three straight shots that barely missed making it into the box.

Rather than coming out flat after halftime, the Big Green maintained its momentum and bombarded Columbia's goal area with shots and crosses, keeping the ball mostly on the Lions' side of the field in that half.

Columbia broke through Dartmouth's defense about midway through the second half and began to gain momentum by winning free kicks and corner kicks. Although unable to capitalize early, the Lions eventually wore down the Big Green and created numerous shot opportunities until they were able to finish late in the game.

With the loss to Columbia, Dartmouth is currently tied with Princeton University for sixth place in the League. The Big Green will look to snap its current four-game losing streak when it plays Harvard University in Cambridge, Mass., on Saturday. The Crimson (9-4, 3-0 Ivy) is in first place in the conference and currently on a three-game winning streak.

The Dartmouth squad must find a way to beat Harvard freshman goalkeeper Bethany Kanten, who was named this week's League Co-Rookie of the Week after recording her first career shutout in a win over Sienna College and amassing a career-high nine saves in a key victory over Brown University on Saturday.

Defensively, the Big Green must stop a Harvard attack that is first in the League in shots and second in points. Harvard senior Melanie Baskind leads all conference players in shots and points.

The Big Green will then play Cornell University in its final home game of the season on Nov. 5. The Big Red (2-10-1, 0-3-1 Ivy) is currently last in the League.

Dartmouth women's soccer players did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

Advertise your student group in The Dartmouth for free!