The DDS Detective

Nothing says sophomore Summer like a watermelon. Unfortunately, I hated watermelons for the majority of my life. I know what you are thinking only a person who kicks babies for a living could ever dislike such a delectable summer treat. It all started when my sister told me when I was little that if I swallowed a watermelon seed I would grow a watermelon in my belly. Not eager to appear with child on top of my already awkward fifth-grade figure, I avoided the melon like the plague. I soon figured out, however, that this was just another one of her brown-M&M's-are-poop-style jokes.

When I finally committed to taking the plunge and try a watermelon again, my father decided that he would jazz up the experience by sprinkling each of the watermelon pieces with an Indian spice whose taste I can only describe as what burning asphalt must taste like. Needless to say, the watermelon has almost always let me down. But for the first DDS Detective of the summer, I simply could not ignore the shades of pink and green radiating from the Collis fridge. So I experimented a little with watermelon and actually came up with a pretty delicious summer drink the watermelon slushy.

1. Get one of the big watermelons from the fridge in Collis
  2. Grab a can of seltzer water and a bottle of lemonade from the fridge
  3. Grab a cup
  4. Use a knife to remove the rind from the watermelon pieces and stick them in the cup
  5. Mush it up with a spoon until it gets pulpy (should take about a minute)
  6. Add a little bit of seltzer water
  7. Add about a fourth of a cup of lemonade
  8. Adjust seltzer water and lemonade to taste

So sit back, relax and enjoy sophomore Summer with a slushy even a character on Glee would be happy to be sprayed with. And before you open a new blitz to make fun of me for making a Glee reference, check out the Overheards. We all know you prefer the Warblers version of "Teenage Dream" anyway.