Building a balanced Summer diet

It may seem ironic that I'm writing an article on how best to live your sophomore Summer when I've never actually lived a sophomore Summer. But in the context of this article faithfully based on the precedent of millions of nutrition magazines the irony fits. I would bet my life savings that half the writers for Men's Health or Shape have never practiced "balanced dieting" in their lives, instead opting for extreme dieting or other well-worn paths to appearing healthy. So this makes me feel less like a fraud. Also, I fully intend to practice what I preach.

According to nutritionists, the path to a balanced, healthy and happiness-filled sophomore Summer relies not on what you do (or eat) but how you do (or eat) it. Fulfillment and fun require thoughtful planning, careful organization, and attention to moderation.

In order to set yourself up for success, go out right now and buy a disposable camera or two. You're going to want to document this summer and you've probably already missed several unforgettable moments that you will now most likely forget. Remember, although taste and memory fade, photographic evidence is forever.

Water and exercise

According to an "expert, ad-free" source, water and exercise should be treated as food groups in your balanced summer diet. Water is obviously not just for drinking, and particularly not just when you're thirsty. Water is multi-faceted to say the least. You should consume it regularly when exercising in order to stay hydrated and bathe yourself in it daily no one wants to be remembered as the 11Xtremely Smelly Kid. But beyond these conventional activities, you should try using water in new ways this summer. Go jump in the river after your 10A, participate in a slip and slide, or relive your childhood and invest in a Supersoaker.

According to experts, exercise is not just a remedy for unwanted cellulite; it also keeps your mind and spirit healthy and happy. In order to maintain a balanced summer, schedule in some fun. As the Stall Street Journal consistently reminds us, there are a myriad of ways to engage in fun forms of exercise during the New Hampshire summer. Go hiking! Go swimming! Jump from high places into bodies of water! Go running (Pine Park is the coolest option)! Canoe or kayak! Go biking! Play tennis! Play pick-up sports!

Of course, there are also more creative ways of getting exercise. Dance! This can happen in an organized setting, such as Shebalite or Splenda (specifically tailored for minimal caloric content), in front of your TV; or informally at social gatherings. Rollerblade! Show off your tanned and toned physique as you sail down Tuck Drive!

Relaxation

Not everything healthy and happy involves mental or physical activity. Organized rest is an essential ingredient of a successful and well-balanced 11X. Read a book you got last Christmas and never got around to. Get a tan on the river dock. Watch a show you love but have neglected. Paint something. Try your hand at poetry. Sing in the shower.

Sleep cannot be stressed enough as a key piece of the sophomore Summer puzzle. Make sure you get at least eight hours and nap whenever needed. Not only is this essential for general mental and physical well-being, but it will ensure higher performance on tests (apparently those still exist), more success in athletic endeavors and a healthy appetite for fun. Without enough sleep, everything you do will likely be harder, take more time and be less fun.

Try something new

This summer is the one time in your Dartmouth career to fail at something without it really mattering. You can say you lost a bet or did it on a whim, and people will probably laugh off your genuine inability to dance, sing, rock-climb or bike. Alternatively, you might actually be good at what you try and it could change your life forever! Really!

Having the best sophomore Summer you can is not just about letting go. Having fun takes thought and work. Experts advise the practice of moderation. Sleep, but not all day. Study, but not for more than three consecutive hours. Tan on the Green, but not until you fry. Sleep on the golf course, but not every night. Moderation might seem obvious or intuitive, but it is a frighteningly underrated practice.

Ultimately, you have the power to lead a fulfilling, nutritionally balanced term. 11X holds many expectations. This is inevitable. But don't let the expectations wash over you actively fulfill (and balance) them.