Ten Big Green athletes receive academic All-Ivy honors

Ten Dartmouth athletes including six seniors, two juniors and two sophomores received Ivy League Academic All-Ivy accolades following the end of spring season competition. To be eligible, athletes must have maintained a minimum 3.0 grade point average and must have been starters or key reserves for their respective teams.

Heavyweight rower Tim Brown '13 achieved a 4.0 grade point average as an economics and government double major last season while competing with the second varsity eight crew. Brown's boat competed at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship Regatta, finishing 13th overall. Brown joined the heavyweight rowing team as a walk-on his freshman year.

"This was a very developmental year," Brown said. "We had a couple of really strong performances, and the IRA was a little disappointing."

He said that due to the Dartmouth quarter system, the team was studying and taking finals during the Championships, while many of its competitors were able to focus entirely on rowing.

Still, Dartmouth academics do not inhibit competing at a high level, according to Brown.

"I do not think we sacrifice anything athletically or academically, and we are able to have academic success," he said. "[Our coach] has made it a very cooperative environment."

Brown described head heavyweight crew coach Topher Boredeau as "unique and flexible" with the team's academic commitments. He also said it was helpful that his teammates are very focused academically and have offered him guidance, particularly during freshman year.

"It is a really close-knit team," Brown said. "Everyone is really supportive. The coach has made it known that academics are our first priority."

Peter Williamson '12, a member of the men's golf team, received the award for a third consecutive season. Williamson was the 2011 Ivy League champion for the second time in three years and tied for 10th place of 75 competitors at the NCAA East Regional. Recently, Williamson was one of only 25 golfers to be named to the Division I PING All-Region Team from the Northeast by the Golf Coaches Association of America.

Women's rower and mathematics major Katherine Roddy '11 competed with the first varsity eight crew and helped her team secure a bid to the NCAA Championships.

Two-time Academic All-Ivy recipient and defender on the women's lacrosse team, co-captain Shannie MacKenzie '11 helped her team reach the NCAA Tournament this year and was 2011 IWLCA second team All-America.

Infielder Noelle Ramirez '13 led the women's softball team in hitting with a .341 average and was 10th in the League with a .406 average. Ramirez is a government major and Spanish minor and plans on attending law school after Dartmouth to pursue a career in public interest law, Ramirez said in an email to The Dartmouth.

Recent graduate Sam Bean '11, a government major and outfielder on the baseball team, received the distinction for a second time. Bean was named second team All-Ivy for his senior season and No. 8 overall in the League with a .335 average, 55 hits, 12 doubles and 35 runs.

David Irving '11, a thrower and captain on the men's track team, capped off four years for the Big Green by finishing second in the hammer throw and third in shot put and discus at the outdoor Ivy League Heptagonal championship. Irving also competed in the hammer throw at the NCAA East Regional competition.

Classical studies major Sarah Spangenberg '11 finished third in both Novice Over Fences and Novice On the Flat at the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association's National Competition this year. Spangenberg had the highest finish ever for a Dartmouth rider at the National Competition.

Women's track sprinter and captain Alex Tanner '11 broke her own school record and finished first in the Ivy League for the second time in three years in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 59.03 seconds. The psychology major and recent graduate also qualified and competed in the NCAA East Regional competition.

History major and co-captain Kip Dooley '12 led the men's lacrosse team in scoring and assists and earned honorable mention All-Ivy and first team All-New England.