Daily Debriefing

An envelope containing a suspicious white substance, since determined to be harmless, was found in Thornton Hall on June 8, according to Justin Anderson, director of media relations for the College. The College employee who the envelope was addressed to reported the envelope to Safety and Security, who then referred the incident to Hanover Police, according to Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone. The Hanover Fire Department, the Lebanon Fire Department, the FBI and the College's Environmental Health and Safety Department also responded to the incident in Thornton Hall, according to the release. EHSD, the hazardous materials response team, tested the substance on site and found it to be harmless, according to a campus-wide safety alert email from Director of Safety and Security and College Proctor Harry Kinne. Representatives from the FBI were on campus the day of the event because the incident had "homeland security implications" given the history of anthrax attacks in the country after Sept. 11, Anderson said. Giaccone said he did not know the identity of the substance. The incident is still under investigation by the FBI, according to the press release. Fire Department Chief Roger Bradley and EHSD could not be reached for comment by press time.

Two members of the Class of 2012 fell from the top level of Alpha Delta fraternity's multi-tiered roof in the early morning of June 8, according to a Hanover Police press release. Both students were in "satisfactory" condition as of 3 p.m. on June 9, according to Rick Adams, director of media relations for Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. The two students a 21-year-old male and a 20-year-old female were taken to DHMC to be treated for their injuries and were described as suffering "serious bodily injury," according to the release. Although the investigation is ongoing, Hanover Police believe alcohol may have been involved in the accident, the release reported. When asked about the incident, On June 23, College director of media relations Justin Anderson released a statement saying, "It is not appropriate at this time for me to comment on a police investigation." Director of Safety and Security and College Proctor Harry Kinne and Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone could not be reached by press time.