Class of 2011 leads various Big Green sports teams to victory

Correction appended

From individual standout athletes to leaders that have brought renewed success while wearing a Big Green jersey, members of the Class of 2011 have left their mark on various varsity teams.

This year, the football team capped off its season on a high note, defeating Princeton University in the final game of the season by a score of 31-0, its first shutout in 14 years. Captains Charles Bay '11, Tim McManus '11 and Pat Scorah '11 led the team to its first winning record in 13 years (6-4).

The men's hockey team led by Scott Fleming '11, captain, forward and top-scorer for two years fell just short of making the NCAA Championship this season and finished third in the East Cost Athletic Conference tournament. The hockey careers of Joe Stejskal '11, Adam Estoclet '11, Evan Stephens '11, Matt Reber '11 and Rob Smith '11 have not ended yet, as the athletes will go on to play in the American Hockey League and East Coast Hockey League.

Women's hockey captain Katie Horner '11 helped her team to the NCAA Tournament during three of her four years at the College. This year, she helped Dartmouth (21-12-0, 15-7-0 ECAC) finish an impressive eighth in the nation, marking a 10-win difference from last season.

Men's soccer had one of its most successful seasons in history and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tournament for the second time in three years. After finishing third in the Ivy League, Dartmouth (12-17-1, 4-3-0 Ivy) received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, where the Big Green advanced to the third round after defeating ninth-ranked Notre Dame 2-1 in overtime.

Captain Daniel Keat '10, who redshirted his junior year, was drafted as the third pick in the first round of the Major League Supplemental Draft for the Los Angeles Galaxy.

Women's soccer Captains Sarah Bromley '11, Katie Davis '11 and Melisa Krnjaic '11 led Dartmouth (7-7-2, 4-2-1 Ivy) to a four-game winning streak that culminated in a second-place finish in the Ivy League this season. Davis was also one of five League players to be named to the All-New England second team by the New England Women's Intercollegiate Soccer Association.

The men's baseball team, which won the League Championship in 2010, ended the season second in the League after losing to Princeton, preventing the team from advancing to what would have been its third straight NCAA tournament. The Big Green (30-12, 14-6 Ivy) won a team-record 30 games and extended the nation's longest home win streak with a perfect home record in Hanover.

Reliever Ryan Smith '11 was named First Team All-Ivy while captain Jeff Onstott '11, Sam Bean '11 and Jason Brooks '11 received second-team honors.

Big Green ski teams, led by women's alpine captains Courtney Hammond '11 and Kelsey Roddick '11 and Nordic women's captain Ida Sargent '11 and men's captain Nils Koons '11, continued their long-standing tradition of excellence as one of the premier skiing teams in the nation, finishing first or second in all of their competitions this year and second place at the Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association Championships.

Dartmouth finished in third place at the NCAA Skiing Championships, its best performance since capturing the national title in 2007.

The men's tennis team (13-7, 4-3 Ivy), captained by Curtis Roby '11 and Stephen Greif '11, had its best season in 13 years, ending the season tied for third in the conference.

Women's tennis won its first-ever Ivy League Championship in Dartmouth history, defeating 55th-ranked Harvard 4-3. Captains Ryan Reichel '11 and Georgiana Smyser '11 won crucial matches at the championship, and captain Molly Scott '11 was named First Team All-Ivy in singles for the third consecutive year. Scott was also named the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Northeast Region Senior of the Year and received the Cissie Leary Award for Sportsmanship.

Women's lacrosse has seen marked transformation over the past four years, as captains and First Team All-Ivy recipients Shannie MacKenzie '11, Kat Collins '11 and Greta Meyer '11 led the team to one of its most successful years yet. Earning the Ivy League Championship title and an NCAA tournament bid, Dartmouth finished the season 11-7, after losing to number eight State University of New York at Albany.

The lightweight rowing team found its footing in the League with a second-place finish in the Eastern Sprints. The Big Green finished behind Harvard University with a time of 5:46.84 but defeated Yale University, Princeton University and Cornell University.

Captain Phil Henson '11 was named Second Team All-Ivy alongside fellow seniors Bryon Alston '11, James Newcombe '11 and Nathan Potter '11. The team, along with the men's heavyweight crew, advanced to the Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championship and finished in third place.

The women's rowing team received a bid to the Championships for the second time in three years. The second varsity eight boat finished 14th overall with coxswain Anna Dobbin '11. The third varsity boat, which included Erin Dauson '11, finished in 16th.

The women's varsity eight, which included captain Emily Dreissigacker '11, Katherine Roddy '11, Alison Tercek '11 and Courtney Chapel '11, finished third at the Eastern Association of Women's Rowing Colleges Eastern Sprints and 16th overall at the NCAA Championship. The same four rowers in the varsity boat also competed at the NCAA Championship in 2009.

Women's track captain and sprinter Alexandra Tanner '11 holds Dartmouth's all-time record and is a two-time Ivy League champion in the 400-meter hurdles. She also holds the school record in the 60-meter hurdles and as the anchor leg of the 4x400 meter relay. Additionally, she was a member of the second-best 4x100m relay and third-best all-time record in the 400 and 200-meter races.

Malina Simmers '11 has led field events with her all-time Dartmouth record of a 12.58-meter triple jump and a third-place finish at Ivy League Heptagonal Championship this year.

On the men's side, track captain and thrower David Irving '11 led the team in scoring at the Championship this year, earning second-place in the hammer throw with 60.39 meters and third-place in the discus and shot put, throwing a season-best of 51.09 and a personal record of 16.61 meters, respectively.

Under the leadership of cross country captain Tom Robbins '11, the men's team finished in second place overall in the League in 2010. Robbins was one of three Big Green runners to receive all-region honors for finishing in the top 25 at the regional meet. He also graduates as the Big Green's sixth-fastest runner in the mile with a time of 4:05.87.

Field hockey captains Virginia Peisch '11 and Claire Byrne '11 finished their senior year on a high note after Peisch was named First Team All-Ivy and Bryne was named to Second Team All-Ivy. Dartmouth (10-7, 3-4 Ivy) finished fourth overall after falling 4-2 to Cornell.

**The original article stated that the men's lightweight crew team advanced to the NCAA Championship and placed in third. In fact, the crew placed third at the Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championship.*