The DDS Detective

05.13.11.mirror.ddsdetective
05.13.11.mirror.ddsdetective

We had three classes. In the morning, we had grammar with Paulina who was, in fact, only in the business of teaching foreign exchange students in order to expand her iTunes collection of msica americana. Before lunch, we had our conversation lesson with Jorge, whose life with his three closest amigos served as the inspiration for the movie, "The Hangover" (not verified, but I'm pretty positive). Last but not least, we had Hugo for an afternoon class whose purpose we never actually learned.

Sure, it wasn't the most intellectual term I have ever spent, but I did get to eat some fantastic food. Mexico was the first place where I tried this incredible dish called "chilaquiles," which is basically fried corn tortillas simmered in a spicy tomato sauce and topped with cheese. You may think it's the same thing as a nacho. It is, however, so much more.1. At '53 Commons, grab a bag of tortilla chips and pour them into a black salad bowl.2. Get a scoop of marinara sauce in the entre line and pour it on top the chips. Mix well but don't break all the chips.3. Douse the whole thing in salsa from the sauces bar but don't overdo it. Just make sure the surface area of every chip is covered.4. Fill another bowl with a generous amount of grated cheese from the salad bar.5. Pay for both the chips and the cheese.6. Put the cheese on top of the chips and microwave (next to the froyo) for about three minutes. The chips should be softened a little bit but not soggy.7. Top it off with sour cream.

After all is said and done, my conversational Spanish really did improve that summer that is, if the conversations I have exclusively concern cheap Mexican food and hangovers. My term in Mexico may not have prepared me for real-world Spanish, but I'm all set if I want to become a gringa taco vendor who pre-games every shift.

Here's to living the dream?