Hollisto's World

Sports dictate my emotions. When my team is up, I'm riding the highest of highs. After my team loses a big game, I'm more depressed than Eeyore from "Winnie the Pooh."

Because of that emotional dependence, I began this weekend really, really sad. Last Thursday, the Orlando Magic my favorite basketball team was eliminated from the NBA playoffs. Instead of conceding defeat and moving on with my life, I decided to kick a brick wall as hard as I could. And instead of doing my econ problem set, I sat in my room eating ice cream and watching reruns of "Community." Unfortunately, no amount of comfort food could chase away the raincloud hovering over my head.

After a sleepless night, I awoke still bitter and depressed. My mood reversed, however, when I saw that the women's lacrosse team clinched the Ivy League title against Harvard University later that evening. After the triumphant victory, I realized that incredible moments in Dartmouth sports history can cure any sports-related despair.

This has been a wild year for Dartmouth sports, and it is filled with enough highs to keep any sports fan happy for ages. Each conquest is different, so I decided to relate each athletic milestone to a different Hollywood movie, with the hopes that I can provide visuals to those who were not lucky enough to see the games live.

Women's tennis: The underdog team surprises the world and rises to success for the first time. Example: "The Mighty Ducks" (1992).

The Dartmouth women's tennis team is definitely the feel-good story of the year. After finishing in the middle of the pack in 2010, the Big Green dominated with intensity and secured the program's first ever League championship. Like the Ducks, this team was overlooked by many observers and was forced to prove its talent game after game. Resilient and determined, the Big Green took on every challenger and eventfully turned its determination into a trophy.

Men's soccer: The underdog team that loses on a last-second play after an epic playoff run. Example: "Friday Night Lights" (2004).

During the 2010 NCAA tournament, the men's soccer team lost to first-seeded University of California, Los Angeles on a last-second shot at the end of their matchup's second overtime period. Although the third-round game ended in a loss, any feelings of sadness were overpowered by the swelling pride I had for my peers on the soccer team. Because the game was played in California, I listened to the entire radio broadcast, and I could tell from the words of the announcer that the team was using every ounce of its strength during the game. Similar to Permian High School in its final game during "Friday Night Lights," the Big Green players showed their immense determination and character by fighting until the very end.

Women's lacrosse: A team proves how great it really is with a huge victory. Example: "Miracle" (2004).

No one in Hanover doubted the Dartmouth women's lacrosse squad's talent. Everyone outside our tiny bubble did. After a great season with only three losses, the Big Green still remained outside the nation's top-10 rankings. Sunday's victory against the University of Maryland proved that Dartmouth deserves to be respected just like the elites from major conferences such as the Atlantic Coast Conference and Big East. The similarities between this victory and "Miracle" are uncanny. A one-goal victory check. Winning the big game on home turf in front of a packed house of loyal fans check. Knocking off a team with a winning streak that spans over a year check. The only difference between the two is Dartmouth's win was no miracle. The Big Green went into the game with the knowledge that a big victory was looming on the horizon.

Baseball: The dominant champion returns to success after a midseason lull. Example: "Rocky III" (1982).

Every champion hits a bump on the way to greatness. In the middle of a successful heavyweight career, Rocky was dethroned by Clubber Lang. This season, the baseball team was swept by Yale Universtiy, hurting its chances to repeat as League champions. Instead of quitting, Rocky amped up his training and eventually beat Clubber in a rematch to reclaim his title. In similar fashion, the baseball team won 10 games in a row to make the League playoffs. The team is firing on all cylinders right now this weekend's title match against Princeton University is sure to be explosive.