Hear and Now: "Glee" covers

Ever since Fox's "Glee" took the television-watching public by storm, the idea of cover songs has been elevated to new heights of popularity. Last week the show made the surprising choice of featuring a remake of Rebecca Black's "Friday," which will probably fare better than the original song on the charts. Individual musicians usually cover songs as a sign of respect, and "Glee" definitely has covering well-established musicians ranging from ABBA to Kanye West. The end result, however, is that "Glee" sometimes churns out impersonal ensemble renditions with a cast that is not as talented when evaluated as individual musicians.

Adele's version of Sam Sparro's 2008 hit "Black and Gold," for example, is a stripped-down take on the original, adding a feminine touch that contrasts with the soulful Sparro's dark and powerful voice. It was not better than Sparro's version, but it was just as good, and Adele's current fame helped reintroduce Sparro to the masses as a credible artist.

"I'll Be There" by Mariah Carey was a huge hit from her MTV Unplugged performance in the early 1990s. Her take on the original song by The Jackson 5 was a huge risk given the high profile of the Jackson family, but she pulled it off effortlessly, belting out the lyrics and delivering an emotive performance. It was obvious that The Jackson 5 inspired her, and this cover was her way of showing appreciation for their impact on her career.

Other covers that remain interesting and engaging include Red Hot Chili Peppers' rock twist on the funk anthem "Higher Ground," originally by Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys' piano hip-hop fusion take on Prince's "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore" and most of the 2010 "Wake Up!" album by John Legend and The Roots, which reintroduced soul classics to the current generation.

Legend also recorded an a cappella version of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," with "Glee" covering the song a cappella as well last week. The song is another in a series of "Glee" covers that I have found disappointing. As an accomplished musician, Legend works wonders on any song, but the cast of "Glee" does not hold a candle musically to Adele or Legend. The series' earlier remake of West's "Golddigger" also failed to result in a completely fresh and original cover song.

On the other hand, Gwyneth Paltrow's cover of Cee-Lo Green's "Forget You" on "Glee" was a success, largely because the song is an inherently catchy track, but also because Paltrow surprised viewers with her natural music talent. I must admit I did not like it at first, given that the song's attitude and vocals seemed tailored just for Green, but her cover grew on me. It made Paltrow and Green's performance of the song at this year's Grammys that much more enjoyable.

Unlike Cee-Lo, however, not every artist is thrilled to work with "Glee." Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters refused to work with the cast, and he has every right as an artist to control his music. It seems likely that he just does not want to be involved in this current phenomenon, but perhaps he is afraid that "Glee" covers will sell better than his original hits did. Grohl probably has nothing to fear because his music speaks for itself, but it is quite comical to look at chart performances and see that some "Glee" covers have sold more than the original songs.

If for nothing else, we can thank "Glee" for bringing old and new tunes to today's audience and for reinvigorating an interest in pop music while the mainstream music industry becomes increasingly overcome by club tunes. Nevertheless, "Glee" pumps out too many mediocre covers I would like to see more original songs and fewer, higher-quality cover songs.