Briefly Noted

The Kansas City Chiefs drafted Yale University fullback Shane Bannon in the seventh round of the NFL Draft on Saturday, the New Haven Register reported. Bannon, who worked out with the Chiefs in April, was the 223rd overall selection of the 254 players that were drafted and was the Chief's ninth pick. He is the first Yale football player to be drafted since 2004. Last season, Bannon posted a career-best 13 catches for the Bulldogs. Two of Bannon's former teammates, Chris Blohm and Tom McCarthy, did not get drafted but hope to be signed as free agents if the NFL lockout is resolved. Dartmouth longsnapper Shane Peterlin '11 and defensive end Charles Bay '11 were not drafted and must also wait for the end of the labor dispute before signing with a team.

Guy Gadowski, who served as head coach of the Princeton University men's hockey team for the past seven years, accepted the head coaching position at Pennsylvania State University. He will join the Nittany Lions men's hockey program as it transitions from a club sport to a varsity sport, according to Penn State Sports. The Penn State squad plans to play an independent schedule in 2012-2013 before joining the new Division I Big Ten hockey conference in the 2013-2014 season. During his tenure at Princeton, Gadowski led the Tigers to two ECAC championship titles, two NCAA tournament appearances and a program-high 22-win season in 2008-2009.

Cornell University, Yale University, Harvard University and the University of Pennsylvania will compete in the 2011 Ivy League Men's Lacrosse Tournament beginning Friday, May 6. The number-one Big Red squad will host the tournament after posting a 6-0 Ivy record this season and earning the regular season Ivy title. The number-three Crimson will confront the number-two Quakers while the Big Red will battle the number-four Bulldogs in the other semifinal. Sunday's championship game will decide the title, and the winner will earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship tournament. The championship game will be televised on ESPNU. Harvard earned its spot in the semifinal after beating Yale on Saturday, extinguishing Dartmouth's chances of earning a tournament berth.