Briefly Noted

Princeton University's women's lacrosse team advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Championship on Saturday. The Tigers held on for an 11-10 victory against James Madison University, with Princeton senior goalie Erin Tochihara stopping a last-second shot attempt by the Dukes. Tigers sophomore Charlotte Davis and JMU junior Ariel Lane both registered hat tricks, while senior Lizzy Drumm scored the game-deciding goal for Princeton with eight minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Tigers will meet the top-seeded University of Maryland next Saturday to fight for a spot in the semifinals. The Terps, whose only loss of the season was to the Big Green in double overtime, are the defending national champions.

The second-seeded Cornell University men's lacrosse team survived the first round of the NCAA Championship on Saturday, defeating unseeded Hartford University, 12-5. Advancing to the quarterfinals for the fourth time in the past five years, the Big Red will face the University of Virginia this Saturday. After the Hawks jumped to an early 3-1 lead just 2:17 into the first quarter, Cornell kept Hartford off the scoreboard for the next 42 minutes and scored nine consecutive goals to take a commanding 10-3 lead. The University of Pennsylvania men's lacrosse team suffered a different fate in its first round match, falling to fourth-seeded Notre Dame University, 13-6. While the Quakers trailed by only three at halftime, the Fighting Irish dominated the second half with five goals to widen their lead.

Ivy League women's tennis teams fared better than League men's teams in the first round of the NCAA tennis tournament. Yale University's women's team earned a 4-2 victory over the College of William and Mary, while Cornell University's men's squad succumbed to Lousiville University, 4-0. The Bulldogs posted their first NCAA Women's Tennis Championship tournament victory, taking the double's point and clinched victories in the two, four and five position singles matches. Yale's run ended on Sunday, however, as the Bulldogs were swept by No. 3 Duke University, 4-0, in the second round