The DDS Detective

think

We're not asking that you enroll in Le Cordon Bleu and become a master chef a simple chicken or pasta dish would suffice. The point is, women like to eat tasty food just as much as men do. Unfortunately, the best a Dartmouth woman can hope for is being offered a chicken wing from EBAs (if she's lucky) after fraternity X places a mass order at 2 a.m. only because FoCo is closed, of course.

Enter Alex Murphy '13. You may not know him, but the kid can cook circles around most people I know. Case in point: his chicken pot pie. Growing up in an environment where I was served primarily Indian food for dinner, the closest I had previously come to a chicken pot pie were those Swanson commercials that I would always confuse with trailers for "The Stepford Wives."

Needless to say, when Alex invited some members of our LSA+ over to his host family's house for some of his homemade chicken delight, I wasn't quite sure what to expect of Alex's cooking or of the pot pie in question. I have to say, I was blown away. Not only was this chicken pot pie incredibly flavorful, balanced and delicious, but Alex had also taken the time to arrange the puff pastry on top of the pie in a dainty, decorative, crisscross fashion.

This week's recipe is dedicated to you, Murph your dance moves are great, but your cooking is simply the bomb diggity.

1. Head to Collis.
  2. Fill a soup cup with mushrooms, corn and peas and have them sauted with a scoop of alfredo sauce at the pasta bar. Keep the whole mixture in the same soup cup this just makes things easier later on.
  3. Sprinkle a few shakes of garlic powder on the vegetables and sauce.
  4. Grab a side of chicken (they should be just sitting next to the pasta) and a piece of Collis bread.
  5. After you are through the checkout line, mix the chicken in with the vegetables and sauce and add a few shakes of salt and pepper.
  6. Toast the piece of bread.
  7. Break the bread into smaller pieces and place it over the chicken and vegetables. Mix the creation around a little, and zap it in the microwave for 30 more seconds if you'd like.

Men of Dartmouth: Put down the pong paddles and pick up a whisk. You may not know what you're doing, but the good news is that there is a very good chance that what you come up with tastes better than Keystone and you might just get a date out of it, too.