Voting bill fails to pass House committee

The New Hampshire House of Respesentatives Election Law Committee recommended that the full House not pass House Bill 176, which would eliminate students from voting in state or local elections, The Washington Post reported.

The committee's vote not to endorse the bill, which failed 13 to 5 at the committee's hearing on Wednesday evening, effectively kills the bill, according to The Post.

The legislation attempts to redefine residency for voting eligibility in order to return to the "basic principles of ensuring residency" and protect the "integrity of the ballot process," according to a statement that New Hampshire Speaker of the House William O'Brien, R-Hillsborough, previously released to The Dartmouth.

Along with nationally-recognized student voting organizations, College groups including the College Democrats, College Republicans, College Libertarians and Student Assembly openly opposed the legislation. The College Democrats created and circulated a petition against the bill throughout various New Hampshire college campuses on Feb. 14, The Dartmouth previously reported.