June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

ONE-ON-ONE: Lindsay Holdcroft '14

I sat down with women's hockey goaltender Lindsay Holdcroft '14, who delivered the fourth shutout of her rookie season on Saturday, saving 18 shots against Ivy League foe Princeton University. At 66.7 percent, Holdcroft holds the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference's third-best winning percentage and a 2.10 goals against average.

How does it feel to be such an integral member of the team as a freshman?

LH: It's been really nice. The team is great they have really accepted me.

Do you feel any additional stress being a rookie on the team?

LH: A little bit. As a goalie I feel like you feel extra pressure in general.

How has the season progressed for you thus far? For your team?

LH: Individually it's been pretty good. In the beginning I was in a fair amount of games but I've been more confident and playing better, which is good. We started out playing well but we hit a patch in the middle where we lost a few, but we've rebounded from that.

How has the adjustment been to being a student-athlete?

LH: As far as the game goes, it's been pretty similar. I played boys' high school hockey, so the speed is similar, a little more pressure for sure playing [Division I]. [It's] harder than expected playing every day and [having] school.

Did you play any other sports in high school?

LH: In high school I ran cross country and track for two years, and then focused on hockey.

Which do you prefer boys' or girls' hockey?

LH: The boys' game is fun because of the speed of the shots and quickness of the players, but I like playing with the girls because you feel like more a part of the team and the game flows better. Less emphasis on hitting than on passing.

How are the girls on the team?

LH: I guess I never really thought about it, but it'd be really hard to not like your team. We want to be around each other even when we don't have to be.

When did you start playing hockey?

LH: I started when I was about eight years old my dad and older brother played.

Why did you choose to come to Dartmouth?

LH: I was looking at a couple of different schools. I visited at the end of junior year. I loved the campus and the school great hockey tradition as well.

What do you hope to achieve this season?

LH: I just hope to keep playing well, keep our team in games. I know as a team we hope to finish the season off strong and get a good seed in the playoffs and advance as far as possible.

What's the hardest part about being a goalie?

LH: The mental aspect of it. You're on the team, but at the same time you're alone back there a little bit. You have to be keeping your confidence up no matter what.

Have you ever wanted to play another position?

LH: Sometimes I do think about playing out, that it might be kind of fun. If we ever play pond or roller hockey I play out, so I get my fix doing that.

Where do you see yourself going with hockey?

LH: It's so much more limited for the women's side of the game. It's something to think about and I'll see where these four years take me - it'd be hard giving it up, it's such a big part of my life.

Are there any opportunities in the United States?

LH: I think there are some adult leagues, but other than the National or Olympic Team, the options are fairly limited. I know some girls go over to Europe to play, which could be a cool experience.

Has your family been able to go to your games?

LH: They come to almost every game. I think they're having hockey withdrawals with my dad no longer coaching.

Who's your favorite player?

LH: I'm from Pittsburgh so I've been watching the Penguins since I was little, and I love Marc-Andre Fleury he's really fun to watch.

Any exciting games coming up or that you're particularly looking forward to?

LH: Clarkson [University] and St. Lawrence [University] we lost to [them] earlier in the season. And we play Cornell [University], which is one of the top teams, and they beat up on us earlier this season.