IFC endorses Zete re-recognition

The Interfraternity Council recommended that the College re-recognize Zeta Psi fraternity on Tuesday, according to IFC president Tyler Brace '11. Although the College de-recognized the fraternity 10 years ago for violating College standards, Zete has been involved in the process of re-recognition since Fall 2009, The Dartmouth previously reported.

"Zete [has] done a great job, and they have shown their ability to contribute positively to the Dartmouth social experience," Brace said. "They've demonstrated that they are productive members of the community, and they deserve to be recognized for that."

Administrators from the College expect to officially issue a letter of re-recognition by the end of Winter term or early Spring term, according to Kristi Clemens, acting director of Greek Letter Organizations and Societies. Zete would return as the Psi Epsilon chapter of the national Zeta Psi organization, Clemens said.

"[Zete] is a very strong national, and they are very happy to have [the chapter] come back to Dartmouth," Clemens said.

Zete president Ray Peng '12 said he appreciated the efforts of the IFC to help the house move towards re-recognition.

"We're very happy and appreciative of the IFC, and of their support and recommendation," Peng said. "Alumni also worked hard to get us back on campus. They've been supporting us through the whole process, and their efforts will not go unrewarded."

Zete was permanently de-recognized in May 2001 for the publication of "sex papers," The Dartmouth previously reported. The internal newsletters, distributed secretly within the house, included lewd references to sexual acts between brothers and named female students. The newsletters also promised the publication of date rape techniques, among other offensive topics.

Zete became active again on campus in Fall 2009 as a colony beginning the two-year process that is required for any Greek organization that seeks to be re-recognized by its university, according to Clemens.

Organizations in the colonizing process are usually afforded many of the same privileges as fully recognized houses, according to Clemens. Colonies must remain dry in the first year, although Zete was allowed to host events beginning in 2009, Clemens said.

Representatives from Zete met with former Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, former Greek Letter Organizations and Societies Director Deborah Carney and various alumni corporations in Fall 2009 to determine a plan that would set the house on the path to re-recognition, according to Clemens. The plan included agreements to keep up maintenance of the physical plant and to recruit new members.

Clemens said she recently met with Peng to discuss the house's progress during its re-recognition period.

The College will likely re-recognize Zete at the same time it re-recognizes Beta Alpha Omega fraternity, according to Clemens.

Beta was de-recognized in December 1996 for disciplinary breeches, and returned to campus as a local fraternity in 2008, The Dartmouth previously reported. The IFC recommended the house for re-recognition in December 2010.

"It's great to have these two [fraternities] back, to see that they can come back from adversity and move forward to return to the community," Clemens said. "Both have shown themselves to be an integral part of life on Webster Avenue."