Daily Debriefing

Former College Dean of the Faculty and current Tufts University Provost Jamshed Bharucha will serve as president of The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art a higher education institution in New York City that offers free tuition to students The Boston Globe reported on Tuesday. Bharucha will resign from Tufts where he has worked since 2002 at the end of the 2010-2011 academic year, according to The Globe. During his time at Tufts, Bharucha worked to improve the University's academic standing as well as its international outreach, Tufts President Lawrence Bacow said in an interview with The Globe. Bharucha served as Dartmouth's John Wentworth Professor of Psychological and Brain Sciences and deputy provost in 1997, and was appointed dean of the faculty at Dartmouth in July 2001, according to a 2001 College press release.

Representatives from educational institutions in the Association of American Universities challenged a National Council on Teacher Quality plan to rank teacher preparation programs, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported Monday. The members of the association wrote a letter to the editor of the U.S. News and World Report on Feb. 3. Katie Walsh, president of the National Council on Teacher Quality, released a response Monday addressing the dissenting letter's call for transparency, which questioned the planned standards and methodology by which institutions would be ranked. Because programs that refuse to supply the study with certain information will suffer in the rankings, the letter said the "implied coercion will cast doubt on the results of the entire evaluation," according to The Chronicle.

Private donations to Cornell University fell by over 31 percent in 2010 compared to the previous fiscal year, The Cornell Daily Sun reported Tuesday. The decline is "very misleading," Charles Phlegar, Cornell's vice president of alumni affairs and development, said in an interview with The Daily Sun. A $170 million donation from Cornell alumnnus Sanford Weill in 2009, which funded the Weill Medical College construction, increased the 2009 total donation amount artificially, Phlegar said. Cornell's alumni donation rate typically lies between 32 and 37 percent, which is much lower than at peer institutions, The Daily Sun reported. Private donations to 13 of the top 20 fundraising universities declined in 2010 compared to the previous fiscal year. Donations to Cornell have increased since the end of the 2010 fiscal year, according to The Daily Sun.