Assembly hosts Green Team training session

02.16.11.news.GreenTeam
02.16.11.news.GreenTeam

The Green Team initiative, a budding student-run program that will train students to assist intoxicated peers at parties, held its first training session in Filene Auditorium on Tuesday afternoon. Approximately 80 students most of them members of Greek organizations attended the event, Student Assembly Alcohol Crime and Reduction Committee co-chair Cyrus Akrami '11 said.

The training session detailed the purpose and responsibilities of Green Team members, introduced the individuals spearheading the effort and provided training by former Dartmouth Emergency Medical Services director Jeff Spielberg '10 and Safety and Security officer Rebel Roberts.

The turnout at the training session was higher than expected, Akrami said. Affiliated men comprised the majority of the training session participants, according to Akrami.

"I'm really, really excited about this response," Akrami said during the training session.

The primary purpose of Green Team is to provide "an extra set of hands" at parties to assist students and reduce alcohol harm on campus, Akrami said. When assigned to Greek house events, Green Team members will receive member status of the hosting organization for the duration of the specified event, The Dartmouth previously reported.

As temporary members, they will be able to check IDs at the door and distribute wrist bands, perform walkthroughs of the house and place Good Samaritan calls for intoxicated individuals without Greek organizations incurring penalties, The Dartmouth previously reported.

"It could change the trajectory of someone's night before they need medical attention," Akrami said.

At the training session, Spielberg provided information regarding how to best care for intoxicated students and how to identify when it is necessary to seek outside help.

"The early intervention side of this is really important," Spielberg said, emphasizing that the Green Team initiative intends to minimize the need for EMS and Safety and Security intervention.

Green Team members will not be directly identifiable because the project is intended to be a "peer-to-peer system," Akrami said.

The training session also included a discussion on sexual assault led by Roberts, who said there are many different types of intervention techniques that Green Team members could use to prevent sexual assault.

Roberts warned the training session participants that students might theoretically impersonate Green Team members in order to single out and possibly sexually assault other students.

Many of the affiliated attendees interviewed by The Dartmouth recognized the need to promote the initiative.

"I think it's important for the fraternities to show our support for this program," Lane Bracken '11, president of Alpha Delta fraternity, said. "It's really important for us to lead this charge."

Max David '12, a social chair for Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity, said he attended the event in order to remain informed about the progress of Green Team.

While representatives from Greek organizations on campus have expressed support for the initiative, most students interviewed by The Dartmouth expressed skepticism that students will respond positively to intervention by Green Team members.

Sarah Ting '14 said she doubted that students would listen to Green Team members, especially if students were drunk.

Rahul Raina '14 said intoxicated students may be reluctant to accept advice or aid from an unidentified peer.

Students approached by Green Team members could become angry, creating a dangerous situation, Ismael Vallejo '14 said.

Somi Kim '13 expressed doubt that Green Team will "change the party scene" at the College because students will still fear getting Greek organizations in trouble by seeking help when intoxicated.

Several students interviewed by The Dartmouth, however, said that Green Team has the potential to benefit the community.

"I believe that Green Team is a step in the right direction because it allows those closest to the issues at hand to take a greater part in creating solutions for the current social system," Roland Mansilla '13 said.

Anthony Romaniw '13 said he believes Green Team will effectively allow sober students to look out for the welfare of intoxicated peers.

Other students interviewed by The Dartmouth said Green Team members' lack of obvious authority could hinder the program's efficiency.

Staff writer Emily Baer contributed to the reporting of this article.

**The original article stated that Spielberg was the director of Dartmouth EMS when in fact he is the former director.*