Women's track wins Relays for first time since 2007

01.10.11.sports.track
01.10.11.sports.track

Overall, Dartmouth's team said it was happy with its results.

"The relays went really well," co-captain Chrissy Supino '12 said. "Everyone has been [beating their personal records] and starting the season off better than we have before, and it's generating a lot of positive energy for our team going into the season."

Men's captain Tyler Ford '11 agreed with Supino, calling the event "a real success" and cited the skills displayed by members of the team.

The Dartmouth women's team finished with 107 points, Northeastern placed second with 90.50 points and Boston College finished third with 56 points.

There were a number of impressive individual performances from Big Green athletes, as three members of the team ran the mile event in under five minutes, including Supino.

"I would say our women's mile was unreal," co-captain Alexandra Tanner '11 said. "That's incredible not only for our team, but also for this point in the season especially since we're on the indoor track. It's going to be really great for when we go to [the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships]."

Tanner performed well at the meet, debuting in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 9.04 seconds.

Tanner ran the 400-meter dash in under 58 seconds and won the race.

The Big Green took the top five spots in the 3000-meter competition, gaining 30 points from the single event.

Amy Schuman '12 won the race with a time of 10:04.66.

Jill Lyon '13 won the weight throw contest with a toss of 12.06 meters, while Amanda Spoto '14 took second place with an 11.74-meter throw.

The women's team is now focusing on competing in the Heptagonal Championships in New York City next month, according to Tanner.

"We want as many people to be in the finals in every race at [the Heptagonal Championships]," Tanner said. "Every event we're entered in at [the Championships], we want people to score, and it's really doable."

Despite finishing behind Northeastern, the men's team also had impressive individual performances.

"The team is proving that the work we did in the off season is paying off," co-captain Muhammed Abdul-Shakoor '10 said. "We're also seeing really good work from the freshmen runners."

Joseph Woiwode '14 won the 800-meter race with a time of 1:55.52 and David Irving '11 won the weight throw event with a distance of 18.21-meters.

In the 60-meter hurdles final, the Big Green took the top three spots, with Christopher Fletcher '11 pushing forward to nab the first place win with a time of 8.63 seconds.

Connor Reilly '13 won the 60-meter dash, finishing in 6.88 seconds.

Jalil Bishop '14 finished second in the 400-meter dash with a time of 51.20 seconds.

As the women's team prepares for the competitions in New York, the men's team has also already focused its efforts on beating other League teams at the Heptagonal Championships.

"As one of the captains, my goal from the beginning has always been to have one Dartmouth athlete in the finals of every event at Heps," Ford said. "Anything less than third-place would be unacceptable we're looking to crack that one-two barrier and finally take down Cornell [University] and Princeton [University] who have historically been one, two."

On Friday and Saturday, the Relays consisted of only high school action, with St. Anthony's High School in South Huntington, N.Y., winning the boy's competition and Newton North High School of Newtonville, Mass., coming in first for the girl's event.

St. Anthony's amassed a total of 66 points to capture the boy's title while Newton North totaled 71 points to win the girl's competition.

The Big Green team next competes on Saturday, Jan. 15, when it hosts the University of Vermont and the University of Maine at 12 p.m. in Leverone Field House.