Batchelor: Obligation to Act

The United States has long claimed that it will stop at nothing to ensure the flourishing of democracy worldwide. Indeed, it is this noble notion that has taken our diplomats and armed forces to the far reaches of the globe, sometimes valiantly, sometimes ignobly, to give a breath of life or a strong arm to those in pursuit of an ideal we hold so dear.

This ideal is why, ostensibly, we dedicated ourselves with such passion to fighting communism and tyranny from South America to Southeast Asia, endeavors that came at a huge cost to our young soldiers and our ever-dwindling coffers. This ideal is why, at least rhetorically, we have sacrificed 7,000 soldiers and countless civilian lives in Iraq and Afghanistan, spending upwards of 1.1 trillion dollars to date. But this ideal, although once grand, is in danger of being exposed as mere convenience and political strategy. For once, this country has the opportunity to support a people and a nation in the true pursuit of freedom and democracy, and the only assistance required is moral rather than physical aid. Yet despite the low costs, we have refused to act.

The people of Tunisia, in case you haven't heard, have been kicking some serious ass as of late. In late December, a wave of protesters took to the streets in protest of authoritarian President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali's repressive government after a desperate act of self-immolation set fire to the public's already smoldering rage. In the week that followed, a bloody and massive movement ousted Ben Ali and forced the establishment of a new unity government under former Prime Minister Mohamed Ghannouchi. It was a seldom-seen occurrence in the Arabic world, with citizens from all classes coming together under a banner of freedom and democracy.

Many Tunisians, however, are hesitant to declare victory. The Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD), Ben Ali's ruling party, has maintained power and many of its former denizens are still in place. Though Ghannouchi has brought in nine opposition party members to the cabinet, three have already tendered resignations in protest of Ghannouchi and the RCD's rule of the interim government. Free elections have been tentatively scheduled for June, but commentators and citizens alike worry that the Tunisian people's great experiment might not last that long.

America has an opportunity to do something spectacular. The Tunisian protesters deserve the full and unwavering support of the U.S. government, rather than the soft, politicized statements that the United States is currently issuing. If we are, as we say, so dedicated not only to the eradication of extremism in the Middle East, but to the flourishing of democracy across the world, here is our chance to promote both goals at an exponentially lower cost in lives and money than our previous endeavors.

Imagine President Barack Obama standing in all his oratorical glory in front of the United Nations, praising the efforts of the people of Tunisia and pledging the full moral support and recognition of our nation. Rather than rolling in tanks and ousting dictators, for once the United States could support a democracy attempting to thrive on its own accord. Perhaps, for once, the Arab world would see our country at its best rather than its worst, acting as a genuine friend without motive apart from helping fellow people build better lives for themselves and their families.

It doesn't take an extreme stretch of the imagination to infer why we haven't responded more forcefully on the protesters' behalf. Ben Ali's government was highly supportive of the American agenda, aiding our pursuit of terrorists, suppressing Islamic extremism and acting as a safe haven for Western and European tourists. Indeed, as recent WikiLeaks cables revealed, our government knew of Ben Ali's repressive and corrupt tendencies, but chose to remain silent in favor of having a pro-Western leader in the Arab world.

But if President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton are worried about Islamic extremism or favor a Western-friendly government, never has there been a better opportunity to help the already tolerant, secular and well-educated people of Tunisia develop a government that meets our supposedly enlightened standards.

Simply put, this is a real movement for democracy led by real people in a part of the world that so rarely sees it. If we, as a nation, are serious about our commitment to democracy, the time and the place to act on it is now, in Tunisia.