Swimming, diving defeat Brown in close competition

12.01.10.sports.swimming
12.01.10.sports.swimming

The women came out on top in a match-up that was exhilarating for the team, according to swimmer Galen Barry '12.

"I don't think we've beaten Brown in at least 10 years, so it was really exciting," Barry said. "Everyone just stepped up to the plate and swam really fast."

This year's freshmen contributed significantly to the success of the team. Christine Kerr '14 won both the 800- and 400-meter freestyle races with times of 9:07.08 and 4:27.33, respectively. Kirstin Hocheder '14 finished second in the 800-meter freestyle with a time of 9:14.01, while Erin Henn '14 finished third in 9:18.70.

Kendall Farnham '14 dominated the butterfly, winning both the 100- and 200-meter events with times of 1:03.21 and 2:19.74, respectively. Farnham also took second in the 200-meter individual medley with a time of 2:23.40.

The men's swim meet was also particularly close, as the victory came down to the very last race: the 400-meter freestyle relay. The Big Green fought hard and went on to take first and third place in the race, allowing it to clinch the win.

Despite the win, swimmer Jack Driessen '12 said he did not think the men's team swam to their full potential.

"I think we can do a whole lot better," Driessen said. "But there were a few individuals who had really good performances."

Driessen said that the Big Green was able to gain so many points because of the high number of second and third place finishes the team achieved.

"We had a lot more depth than the other team," Driessen said.

Nejc Zupan '14 continued to prove himself in the distance events, claiming first in both the 800- and 400-meter events. Zupan also won the individual medley.

Michael Ahern '12 pulled out the win against Brown sophomore Ryan Kikutchi in the 100-meter backstroke, but he fell short of first place by .16 seconds in the 200-meter backstroke, taking second place with a time of 2:06.05.

Driessen said that the team swam well in some events, but could use some improvement in others.

"Our relays were really good, but we were kind of weak in breast stroke and sprint freestyle," he said.

The success of the swim teams transferred over to the women's diving team against Brown at the meet held at University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. The teams were unable to compete in Providence because of insufficient facilities.

Katy Feng '14 ruled the one-meter and three-meter boards, breaking the UMass pool records on both boards with scores of 278.09 and 289.43, respectively. With her performance, Feng also qualified on both boards for the NCAA Zone Championship at the end of the season.

The men's diving team also took first place on both boards. Chris Plante '12 accumulated a score of 286.65 to come out on top on the one-meter board. Mikey Brown '11 won the three-meter board with a score of 310.12.

The men's and women's teams depart for their winter training trip on Dec. 8. The team will now focus on improving fitness, speed and strength during their trip, Barry said.

"The training trip will help big time to get us back into the best cardio shape that we can be," she said.

Both teams return to the pool against Yale University and the University of Pennsylvania in New Haven, Conn., on Jan. 15.