Schwieger '12 nabbed as co-Ivy Player of the Year

Big Green runningback Nick Schwieger '12 and Harvard University's Gino Gordon were awarded the Asa S. Bushnell Cup and named co-Ivy League Players of the Year at a press conference in New York City. Schwieger is the sixth Big Green player to earn the honor since its inception 40 years ago, and the first since Jay Fielder '92 won the award 18 years ago.

Schwieger led the League in rushing, scoring and all-purpose yards, despite missing one of Dartmouth's 10 games this season due to illness. His 1,133 yards on the ground are the second most ever by a Big Green runningback. Schwieger currently ranks sixth nationally among Football Championship Subdivision players with 125.9 yards per game.

"It is with great honor that I accept this award," Schwieger said in a College press release. "So many great players have won this award before me, and to be considered amongst the likes of Keith Elias ['82], Jay Fiedler and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a privilege. I want to thank my offensive line and our tight ends for all theydid this year. They know that much of my success can be attributed to their hard work. The receivers also did a great job blocking downfield, and [quarterback Conner] Kempe ['12] really stepped up as a leader of our offense."

With one more season ahead of him, Schwieger is second on Dartmouth's all-time rushing list with 1,840 yards - just 412 yards behind Al Rosier '91. He also ranks fifth on the Big Green career charts in all-purpose yards with 2,686, and only two players in Dartmouth history have ever surpassed 3,000.

"Nick certainly was the difference-maker on offense, the go-to guy," head coach Buddy Teevens said in the release. "He not only made the big plays, but also was a very unselfish player in the backfield as a competent blocker. A tough, physical,aggressive and very intelligent runner, Nick will deliver on every hit; he does not have a self-preservation reflex."

Teevens won the Bushnell Cup for the Big Green in 1978.

Gordon, a senior and also a running back, led the Crimson with 1,059 yards on 168 carries to score 10 touchdowns. In addition, Gordon caught 19 passes for 156 yards as Harvard finished the year in a tie for second with a 5-2 Ivy record and 7-3 overall.

Dartmouth was 3-4 in the Ivy League to place fifth, and 6-4 overall, for its first winning season in 13 years. The Big Green returns 20 of its starters next year as it hunts for the program's 18th Ivy League title.

Schwieger and Teevens were not immediately available for comment.