Women's hockey falls to Harvard

11.22.10.sports.pow
11.22.10.sports.pow

The Big Green squared off in Cambridge for the first game of the series and the Crimson jumped to an early lead eight minutes into the contest. Harvard maintained its 1-0 advantage for the remainder of the first period.

Big Green assistant captain Jenna Hobeika '12 netted the equalizing goal in what would be the first of three power-play goals scored in the game.

The remainder of the second period was very much a back-and-forth battle waged between the two teams until Harvard scored two goals in the closing minutes to go into the final period with a 3-1 advantage.

The beginning of the third period did not fare better for the Big Green, as Harvard notched a short-handed goal six minutes in to make the score 4-1.

Dartmouth eventually took advantage of the same penalty less than two minutes later, as Sasha Nanji '13 netted her eighth goal of the season off an assist from Hobeika to pull the Big Green within two.

The Big Green cut the Crimson lead to just one late in the game after another power-play goal with less than three minutes left in the contest after Geneva Kliman '12 capitalized off of a pass from Hobeika and Nanji.

Dartmouth's offensive fury did not prove to be enough to win, however, as Harvard secured the victory in the final minute after an empty-net goal, bringing the game to a close in favor of the Crimson, 5-3.

The two teams faced off again in Hanover on Saturday, as Dartmouth looked to avenge the upset loss it suffered the day prior.

This time, it was the Big Green that drew first blood in the middle of the first period, as Moira Scanlon '12 notched her second goal of the season to give the Big Green a 1-0 advantage.

Dartmouth lost the lead midway through the second period when Harvard's Jillian Dempsey knocked in a short-handed goal the Crimson's second of the two-game series to even the score.

With less than five minutes to go in the period, Kelly Foley '12 took advantage of another Harvard penalty to give the Big Green a 2-1 advantage heading into the third and final period of play.

Crimson were not to be counted out and tied the game less than four minutes into the period to bring the score to 2-2.

The closing minutes of the final period proved to be the most decisive of the game, however, as the Dartmouth defense could not withstand the Crimson's offensive pressure, allowing Dempsey to score her second goal of the game. It proved to be the game-winner for the Crimson.

Nanji had the strongest performance of the weekend, turning in three points. As of Nov. 16, she led the country in points per game by a defenseman, averaging a point and a half per game.

The Big Green will look to get back on track this Wednesday at Boston College at 7 p.m.