Women's crew starts season strong

11.11.10.sports.WCrew
11.11.10.sports.WCrew

The Big Green's varsity boat finished with a time of 14.57.767, while Princeton won the event, finishing approximately 25 seconds ahead of Dartmouth. The University of Virginia came in second with a time of 15:01.312.

"I was really pleased, especially because it was our first regatta of the season," assistant coach Anne Kennedy '07 said of the race. "We hadn't seen any other crew, and we didn't know their speed, so to come here and succeed like we've never done before is really great."

Last year, the women's varsity eight finished 10th at the Three-Mile Chase with a time of 15:49.955.

"The whole team performed really solidly, and a third-place finish is really something to be pumped about," captain Emily Dreissigacker '11 said. "Princeton and Virginia were both top-three finishers at last year's NCAA championships, so to be third to them is really exciting. It's the best Dartmouth has done at this race."

The Big Green's second varsity boat finished 24th with a time of 16:05.098.

"Being that the boat is half freshmen, I think their performance spoke values of the skill we have all around," Kennedy said. "They were solid from start to finish."

While some of the top rowing teams in the region were not at the regatta, the Dartmouth team still had a chance to see how it performs against many successful teams, according to Kennedy.

"The competition was high at the regatta some of the fastest crews were there, obviously including Princeton, who won the event, and Virginia, who won the national championship last year," Kennedy said. "However, Yale [University] wasn't there, and we always like to take them on, since they're a formidable opponent."

Dartmouth also had three boats in the varsity four race that weekend. The first varsity boat finished ninth in 17.54.020, while the third varsity boat finished in 11th place with a time of 17.54.656.

Princeton took the top four spots in the varsity four race. The Tigers' first varsity four finished nearly a minute and a half faster than the Big Green's fastest four. Last year, the Big Green took eighth in the race with a time of 10:04.704.

"We really struggled in the four race," Kennedy said. "We had different lineups and rough weather, so some people got frazzled. We have to work on keeping our focus and maturity."

Dreissigacker agreed with Kennedy, adding that the team must improve its performance in the fours.

"That's an area that we need to work on if we want to be one of the nation's top teams," Dreissigacker said.

Aside from the tough varsity four race, the overall start to the season was positive, Kennedy said.

"It's a great start that will build confidence," Kennedy said. "Our captains and leaders are spectacular and strong, and will definitely lead the team to a wonderful season."

Kennedy and Dreissigacker both agreed that there is room for improvement, regardless of how well the team performed at Princeton.

"Our finish was great, but [the teams that competed in the Princeton Chase] were a decent ways ahead of us, so we really need to keep working hard to close that margin by spring racing," Dreissigacker said.

Kennedy added that while it was gratifying to see the team do so well, they will continue to push for improvement.

This past weekend, the team's freshmen competed in the Green Monster Regatta, a freshmen-only race hosted by the Big Green. The Big Green entered two boats into the race, finishing first and second on their home turf.

"Our freshmen class is very strong they have a great attitude," Kennedy said. "The boats were a combination of recruits and walk-ons, so their performance speaks of their development."

This weekend the Dartmouth women's rowing team will travel to Boston to compete in the Foot of the Charles Regatta. Many of the nation's top teams will race this weekend, including rival Yale.

"We'll get another view of some top teams this weekend, and we'll get to see how we stack up against them," Dreissigacker said.