Women's soccer to host red-hot Boston University tonight

10.13.10.sports.WSoccer
10.13.10.sports.WSoccer

The Big Green has had no time to harp on its disappointing loss to Yale, head coach Angie Hind said. Instead, Dartmouth is busy focusing on what it can improve upon in time for this Wednesday's game.

"I think that the important thing for us is that we get some confidence back quickly," she said. "[BU is] always a well-organized team, they're always physical, they're always athletic. Every game against BU for the eight years that I've been here has been very close ... It's one that we look forward to. They've done very well this year so they'll be very strong."

The Terriers (10-5, 5-0 America East) have been dominant all season. The team is demolishing its opponents, outscoring them 34-10 on the season. The BU women enter into the game having won seven straight games, and have yet to concede a goal during this streak, keeping opponents scoreless for 648:02 consecutive minutes.

Of BU's five losses, four were to ranked opponents, including No. 1 Stanford. The team's last loss came on Sept. 12 against a very strong Virginia team that is now ranked 9th in the nation.

Boston University beat the University of Vermont 7-0 in record-breaking fashion this past Sunday, tying the program's single-game record for points in a contest by a single player. Graduate student Lisa Kevorkian, who tallied six points on the afternoon, earned the honor. She currently sits atop the America East conference with 8 goals and 18 points on the season.

The Big Green players, however, are not intimidated.

"Every game is different we play UVM too," co-captain Sarah Bromley '11 said. "There's just no use getting intimidated by a score like that."

The key to Dartmouth's success against the Terriers may be its defense. Against such an explosive offense, the Big Green may be able to return to its winning ways if it can get its defense to be more compact.

"It's as simple as being a little bit tighter defensively, and not giving away the silly goals that we have," Hind said.

The back four are not the only players that have a job to do on Wednesday. Having scored just nine goals all season, Dartmouth's offense has been working on finishing its possessions.

"When we get chances on the ball, we can make things happen," Hind said. "Our strikers have been knocking on the door a little bit. Aly O'Dea ['12] had a very good game on Saturday, and we're hoping that she can do the same thing [on Wednesday]."

Dartmouth is beginning to get numbers forward in the midfield, and it is now a question of converting on its opportunities. If the Big Green can do this effectively and stick to its game, Hind said she is confident that the team will come away with a positive result.

Despite dropping three of its last four games, the Big Green is far from giving up.

"We had a tough loss this week, but I think everyone is kind of coming out of the gates," Bromley said. "We're ready to go and prove what we have."

Part of the problem may be that Dartmouth has been unable to play its best soccer on a regular basis, Hind added.

"I don't think we've really truly represented ourselves well enough yet this year," she said. "We've been very inconsistent. We've had some great results against some good teams, in [University of San Diego] and [Pennsylvania] State [University], but they're in the past now. We have to look forward and do the best we can in the remaining games."

Last Fall the last time the two teams squared off the Big Green suffered a heart-breaking 2-1 loss in overtime. Dartmouth hopes to use this to its advantage.

"They scored a last-minute goal and it was a game that we all kind of felt like we should have won," Bromley said. "It's going to make us come out even harder."

While injuries plagued some team members early on in the season, these players are beginning to get match fit and are ready to contribute, according to Hind.

The Dartmouth women will take on the Terriers on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. at Burnham Field in Hanover.