The DDS Detective

10.08.10.Mirror.DDSdetective
10.08.10.Mirror.DDSdetective

This cookbook featured one dish I had never heard of before, called French toast. Before you get all surprised that I hadn't heard of French toast, you have to understand the idiosyncratic breakfast habits of my family: for us it was always Honey-Nut Cheerios on weekdays and Papa Krishna's giant chocolate chip pancakes on weekends, as my sister had (and still has) a gag-reflex whenever she smelled eggs and I had a fear of waffles ever since I touched a hot waffle iron thinking it was chocolate when I was five.

One Saturday morning, however, I begged my mom to make this French toast recipe from "Pretend Soup," and much to my sister's displeasure at having eggs around the house, my mom agreed. And it was absolutely delicious. Has French toast ever been made at our house again since? Over my sister's dead body. Thankfully, this week's DDS Detective is none other than everyone's favorite breakfast toast, courtesy of Collis:

1. Get a bowl (with a lid) and ask for a scoop of omelet batter in it.
  2. Shake some cinnamon from the smoothie bar into the egg mix (be VERY generous).
  3. Get some vanilla soymilk and a piece of Collis bread (the vegan kind is best, unless it's a really savory flavor).
  4. Put about half of the vanilla soymilk into the egg mix.
  5. OPTIONAL: Lightly toast the piece of bread (it all depends on whether you like your French toast crispy or not).
  6. Soak the bread in the mix for about a minute make sure lots of cinnamon gets on it when you are soaking.
  7. Put the bread on a plate and microwave for one minute on either side.
  8. Here's where you've got some options I personally like going back to the smoothie bar and drizzling honey and strawberries on my French toast and sticking it back into the microwave for about a minute until the strawberries melt onto the French toast but you can have it with honey, brown sugar, jam whatever floats your boat!

Now this recipe might get you a few stares as you roam around Collis with raw egg, a piece of bread and soymilk, but trust me, the end result is worth it you just can't put a social price on recreating Lou's in a Dartmouth dining hall.