Athletic Director names Rachel Hanson new softball coach

Athletic Director Harry Sheehy announced that Rachel Hanson will take over as the women's head softball coach for the 2011 season. Hanson is replacing Christine Vogt, who stepped down as head coach earlier this year after six seasons at Dartmouth.

Hanson comes to the College from a head coaching position at the University of Dallas, where she acted as head coach for both the softball and volleyball teams after graduating Trinity University in 2005.

During her five-year career at the University of Dallas, Hanson produced seven All-American athletes and currently holds the Crusaders' school-record for career wins as a softball coach, with an overall 87-80 record. During her fourth season, Hanson coached the team to a record 20 wins in 2009.

In addition to her coaching success, Hanson also served as a head instructor at a Nike Softball Camp and as well as instructor at many other softball camps around the country. Hanson is also a member of the National Fastpitch Coaches Association Hall of Fame Committee.

"I am incredibly excited to join the athletic department and lead the softball program at Dartmouth," Hanson said in a College press release. "With the resources and potential that are already in place, this program has the opportunity to do some very exciting things in the years ahead."

While a student at Trinity, Hanson studied political science and was a member of the softball team, which she captained during her senior year. Hanson was a three-time all-conference selection while playing for the Tigers and led her team as captain to third place at regionals her senior year.

In a press release, Sheehy noted his enthusiasm for the recent hire and the future of the softball team.

"[Hanson] brings a passion for coaching and a desire to help young women reach their potential that was unmatched among the candidates," Sheehy said in the release. "We look forward to working with her to continue the success of our softball program."

According to third baseman Molly Khalil '12, the women met with their new coach last week in a team meeting as well as an individual meeting to get to know each other better and learn personalities as well as strengths and weaknesses.

"She seems really excited to hit the ground running," Khalil said. "She is going to start out observing our skills and doing drills."

Megan Sobel, senior associate athletic director for varisty sports, oversees 11 varsity athletic programs at Dartmouth, including softball. Sobel said that she is eager for what Hanson has to offer the team.

"She is really energetic and really brings a positive energy to the program," Sobel said. "Her level of excitement is going to take us to an even higher level and hopefully bring us to an Ivy League Championship."

According to Sobel, Hanson will be returning to her home in Texas this week and will make the cross-country move to live in Hanover starting next week.

The team will have its first two practices this week, according to infielder Noelle Ramirez '13, and hopes to utilize its allotted off-season practices before the November deadline.

"We need to get our 12 official practices in as soon as possible," Ramirez said.

When it comes to team and individual expectations, Ramirez said that Hanson is setting the bar high and wants to go off the momentum from previous success.

"She definitely is expecting a ring," Ramirez said. "She wants to pick up where we left off last year."

The Big Green last competed in the Ivy League Championship Series in 2009 and in 2010 finished second in the South Division.