The DDS Detective

The nacho the food with which I have the biggest love-hate relationship. If we had a relationship status on Facebook, nachos and I would definitely be "it's complicated." It's the only thing I want from the concession stands at concerts, but it's also the one thing that makes me feel most like I'm going to boot after I eat it. It's the best predecessor to my meal when I'm at a Mexican restaurant, but it's also the reason why I'm never hungry by the time my enchiladas finally make it to the table. It's what I always resist when my friend James has his nacho cravings at 1:00 a.m. when my metabolism has way past checked out, but what I always end up eating a stack of when the EBA's guy shows up anyway. And maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling that I'm not the only one with such sentiments about the nacho.

That's why the first DDS Detective creation of the year is my own unique twist on the nacho that will simplify your (or maybe just my) messy relationship with this dish: Asian nachos. I know, you're skeptical but trust me, nachos can be as much of a blank canvas as its fellow carb siblings. If pasta and rice can work across so many different cuisines, why can't our friend the nacho as well? So this week, go rogue at Collis (or be that cool, innovative, trendsetter '14!) and give these Asian-style nachos a try.

Note: This works best at late night Collis, where they have nachos and sushi essentially every night

1.In Collis, order tuna sashimi, but note down on the form that you want a side of avocado.2.Get a bowl of nacho chips (sun chips also work fine if you aren't at late night Collis, but definitely not as tasty).3.Top the nachos with the sashimi and avocado.4.Top that with ginger, sweet soy sauce, chili sauce, and wasabi (you can just ask to use all of this they don't mind!)

It's like taking the best part of eating both nachos and sushi and combining all that into one flavorful, tasty, filling dish that will more than satisfy your late-night (or anytime!) craving. Plus, if you're into the whole nutrition thing, tuna and avocado are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids!

Note to self: figure out what an Omega-3 fatty acid is.