Briefly Noted

The Dartmouth men's heavyweight crew team received the Russell S. Callow Memorial Award, a prestigious honor presented annually by the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges, according to a Dartmouth Sports press release. The award reflects the team's performance during the 2010 spring season, and is awarded due to excellence in the areas of "spirit, courage and unity." In the Eastern Sprints held last spring in Worcester, Mass., Dartmouth upset several top teams to make the Grand Final, ultimately placing fifth overall. They defeated Syracuse University and Northeastern University, both ranked in the top 10, as well as Brown University, the top-ranked squad at the meet. "It's a credit to the oarsmen that their efforts have been honored by the EARC coaches," Dartmouth coach Topher Bordeau said in the release.

Running back Nick Schwieger '12 earned the Gold Helmet Award as the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston's Football Championship Subdivision player of the week by gaining 273 all-purpose yards in last week's 43-20 victory over Bucknell University. Schwieger won the award, which is presented to the top FCS player in the region each week, for the second time in his career. He also won last season for his then-school record of 242 rushing yards against Columbia. Schwieger's 273 all-purpose yards against the Bison put him third on the school's all-time single-game list, while his previous 216 rushing yards record ranks him sixth. Schwieger was also named Ivy League Co-Offensive Player of the Week and College Football Performance Awards FCS National Running Back of the Week following the game.