College hires two athletic trainers

07.16.10.sports.gym
07.16.10.sports.gym

Although the Dartmouth training staff has not fully decided which trainers will work with specific teams, both Lammers and Cromwell are slated to train the men's and women's soccer teams. Either Lammers or Crowell will work with men's basketball, softball and men's and women's tennis.

Lammers and Cromwell will replace trainers Barbara Sibun and Leonard Angelli, who left due to personal reasons.

Frechette said that a large pool of qualified applicants with varying levels of experience applied for the two vacant positions. After meeting with Lammers and Cromwell, Frechette said he knew they would contribute to the program and the goals of the staff.

"The addition of two new, young staff members will throw some energy and new ideas into the mix," Frechette said. "Both are right out of masters programs where they've been learning the newest in training techniques, while some of us will have been here and have had the experience. So hopefully we can learn from each other and it'll be a great collaboration."

This is Lammers' and Cromwell's first stint as full-time trainers.

Lammers graduated from Ohio University in 2008 after working as a student athletic trainer with the football, volleyball, softball and wrestling teams. She also worked with East Coast Hockey League team the Dayton Bombers, and assisted at prominent track meets such as the Pacific 10 Track and Field Championships as well as the NCAA West Regional competition.

Lammers' numerous accolades speak to her success in the field of athletic training. Lammers received the Mid-American Conference Athletic Training Student Award, the Charles "Skip" Vosler Athletic Training Leadership Award and the Wycoff Athletic Trainers' Scholarship for her work as a trainer.

Following her time in Ohio, Lammers began work for the University of Oregon where she specialized in football and baseball and recently acquired a Masters degree in athletic training.

Frechette said he was impressed with Lammers' background and is confident that she will work well with Dartmouth student athletes.

"She's demonstrated that she's gone above and beyond in terms of learning some manual skills that will be very helpful in her positions here," he said.

Cromwell graduated in 2008 from Ithaca College where he worked as a student assistant for various Ithaca Bombers teams, including track, football, field hockey, wrestling and men's lacrosse. Cromwell also served as the treasurer of the Ithaca College Athletic Training Student Association and was a student delegate for the Eastern Athletic Trainers' Association.

In 2007, Cromwell worked as a student trainer for the Cape Cod Baseball League's Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox in Cape Cod, Mass. In 2008, he was awarded the New York State Athletic Trainers' Association MEDCO Supply Company Scholarship.

Crowell previously worked as a graduate assistant at Cornell University where he specialized in women's soccer and baseball, while providing assistance to seven other sports teams. Cromwell will graduate from Ithaca College with a Masters degree in exercise and sports sciences with a concentration in sports psychology in August.

Cromwell's colleagues at Cornell reached out to Frechette during the selection process and gave Cromwell outstanding recommendations, Frechette said. The recommendations, combined with Cromwell's diverse background in athletic training, influenced the decision to hire Cromwell as a trainer.

"It's always nice to get a strong recommendation from people you know and respect, and when we met Caleb, we really saw what they were talking about," he said.

Lammers and Cromwell did not respond to requests for comment by press time.