Pilobolus dance troupe flips, rolls and morphs at the Hop

06.29.10.arts.pilobolus2
06.29.10.arts.pilobolus2

For Michael Tracy '73, one of the artistic directors of Pilobolus, the weekend marked a homecoming of sorts. As a student at the College, Tracy had performed in the same space, which was called Center Theater at the time, before helping found Pilobolus. Now, over 30 years later, he has returned to Dartmouth to showcase five pieces, including the world premiere of "Hapless Hooligan in Still Moving' " (2010) a cutting-edge, multimedia collaboration with Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novelist Art Spiegelman.

Pilobolus, which began as a project in a beginner modern dance class at Dartmouth in 1971, has developed into a world-renowned company famous for its innovative performances in the past four decades. This weekend's performance at the College was particularly meaningful as Jonathan Wolken '71, who co-founded Pilobolus and served as one of its artistic directors, recently passed away on June 13.

The first piece of the evening, "Redline" (2009), combined daring flips and other acrobatics that left audience members in awe. As the dancers darted back and forth across the stage, the only indication they were actually exerting energy was the sweat that could be seen flying off their bodies.

Next on the program was "Rushes" (2007), which incorporated props, slapstick comedy and optical illusions. Several movements in the performance provoked audience laughter, but it was unclear whether it was caused by amusement or genuine confusion on the part of viewers. Although certain segments of the piece were thought-provoking and challenged traditional notions of dance, others seemed to drag on longer than necessary.

A short and somewhat unmemorable third piece "Walklyndon" (1971) followed, featuring neon bodysuits, animated facial expressions and a naked man walking across the stage holding a beverage.

The second half of the program resumed with a tantalizing display of strength and determination in "Gnomen" (1997). Four shirtless, beautifully sculpted male dancers floated across the stage as if there was simply no limit to their physical prowess. In a display of amazing concentration, three of the men lifted the fourth into the air using only their feet.

The premiere of "Hapless Hooligan," which is the seventh Pilobolus work that has been commissioned or co-commissioned by the Hopkins Center for the Arts, concluded the performance. The piece, based off of Spiegelman's adaptation of the vintage cartoon strip "Happy Hooligan" drawn by Frederick Burr Opper at the turn of the twentieth century, was accompanied by 1920s and 1930s Warner Brothers cartoon music. Loosely centered on the story of a man who journeys to the Underworld in search of his long lost love, "Hapless Hooligan" was clever, innovative and thoroughly entertaining.

One could not help but be intrigued as the performers reached for figures projected on the screen, tried to smell animated roses and danced as beautiful silhouettes. The dynamic between the changes in the size of the silhouetted dancers and figures on the screen also created a constant sense of action in the performance. However, the length of the performance, a predictable soundtrack and the repetitive movements of the piece caused "Hapless Hooligan" to run out of energy before reaching its end.

Overall, the show accomplished what audience members have come to expect from Pilobolus entertaining displays of athleticism and grace that blend the directors' revolutionary ideas with a willingness to push the traditional boundaries of dance.