Internet Meme of the Week: GloZell Green Revisited

When I found out that Los Angeles-based comedienne GloZell Green was interested in speaking to The D, I was excited because there was so much about her I was dying to know. I immediately contacted the YouTube star, who has gained a fan base for her videos that poke fun at popular songs. In her "translation" (as Green calls it) of Rihanna's "Rude Boy," for example, GloZell remarks, "Rihanna went from being the easy, breezy, beautiful Cover Girl to the Ooh, cover it up' girl!" GloZell sounded exactly the same over the phone as she does online; she was everything I imagined she would be and more. Below are some highlights from the interview.

DV: How did you get the name GloZell?

GG: My mother's name is Gloria and my father's name is Ozell, and when you put them together you get GloZell.

DV: What's it like being the queen of YouTube, with over 800 videos? That's insane.

GG: It's very interesting and everyone recognizes me. I don't mind, but then there are those people who are staring at me from across the room, so it's a bit uncomfortable, but I love it.

DV: What inspires you to make these videos?

GG: What had happened was I went to "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" every night to watch the show and interview peeps there. People there then started saying how funny I was, and how I should pursue comedy. They wanted to interview me instead of the other way around.

DV: What comedians inspire you?

GG: Dave Chappelle when he turned down that $50 million. I'd do anything for that; I'll tap dance all day for that type of money. Nothing on Comedy Central is as funny as that show, and he made a mistake. That mistake was enough to inspire me.

DV: What do you like doing better, stand-up or YouTube videos?

GG: Definitely videos. They stay up for a long time, and with stand-up, I could have a great show and the audience still might not like me. I improv both in stand-up and in my videos and at least I can erase bad comments on my YouTube page.

DV: What do you want people to take from your comedy?

GG: I want people to be more accepting to all types of people, and just laugh. I was so grateful that Perez Hilton put me on his blog, and I got the opportunity to eat with him and his mother. I just want people to do what they gotta do. If I was close-minded, I would miss these blessings, so I just say be yourself and do what you do.