Three standout softball players receive All-Ivy recognition

After wrapping up their season two weeks ago with four tough losses to Harvard University, some members of the Dartmouth softball team found the silver lining in their 2010 campaign. On Friday, Hillary Hubert '13, Noelle Ramirez '13 and Kirsten Costello '10 were awarded All-Ivy honors. Hubert was selected as the Rookie of the Year and was also named to the first team as an outfielder. Costello was named to the second team, while Ramirez was picked for the honorable mention team.

This is the second time that a Big Green softball player has been named Rookie of the Year with Christine Quattrocchi '03 receiving the nod in 2000.

As the season kicked off, Hubert quickly became a key player, despite having to adjust to a more competitive college game and a new position. Throughout the year, Hubert accumulated impressive stats, including a .381 overall batting average. The freshman led the Big Green with 19 RBIs in League play and was second on the team with three home runs.

Hubert also cracked the Ivy League top-10 in total bases, slugging percentage, hits and on-base percentage.

Despite her numerous accomplishments and Rookie of the Year honor, Hubert said she is more concerned with the team's overall success.

"Although I had personal goals for myself, I was completely surprised at how everything turned out," she said. "I just went out and played every game the same, but really it isn't about any of the stats. All of the individual stats mean nothing to me if we can't compete together as a team. This season, I feel like we were able to do that."

Costello was pleased to end her last season with her second All-Ivy selection having been named to the team as a junior as well.

"To be named to the team again just feels like justification for all of the hard work that I have put in over the four years," she said. "Making it as a junior and senior was really amazing. I think that, overall, this has been a culminating experience."

Costello saw time in all 41 contests for the Big Green this year. She had 35 hits on the season, putting up 19 RBIs and a League batting average of .333. These statistics helped Costello crack the Ivy top-10 in League games played, runs scored and home runs.

"Kirsten had such an impact on the rest of the team, especially the freshmen," Ramirez said. "She is just a ball of fire and has a never-give-up attitude. She battled countless injuries, playing on a broken foot this Winter. She was so dedicated to the team and showed how much she was willing to give to her teammates. She really showed us what we needed to be."

Ramirez also received Ivy honors after earning a batting average of .321, racking up eight runs scored, eight RBIs and two home runs. She also put up eight multiple-hit games.

Although Ramirez said she was proud of her accomplishments and did not expect to receive as much playing time as a freshman, she added that she is most proud of her ability to contribute to the team's success.

"It was really surprising to me," she said. "I just went out there and played the best that I could and it was nice to see that other people saw the time and effort that I put into it. More importantly though, the fact that I was able to step in and help out the team was great."

The team is graduating six seniors this year, but with the strong contribution of five freshmen, Costello said she is not worried.

"I think all of the freshmen this year, especially Hubert and Ramirez, were really important to our team," Costello said. "Without them, we wouldn't have been as strong. Those two girls were batting third and fourth in the power spots. They also contributed on defense. They were really incredible and it bodes well for the future. Although we are losing six girls, five are coming in, and, honestly, I think they will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years."