Professor receives award from NSF

Dartmouth computer science professor Lorenzo Torresani recently received an award from the National Science Foundation in recognition of his search for an improved algorithm for image-searching as well as his integration of research and teaching, according to the NSF website.

The funding award, which started April 1 and lasts until March 31, 2013, is part of the NSF's Faculty Early Career Development program, according to the NSF web site. Torresani has received $228,710 to date.

Torresani said he will use his funding to continue his research, according to an April 30 College press release.

"Despite the advances in the fields of computer vision and information retrieval, content-based image search today is still limited," Torresani said in the press release.

The method of image retrieval that Torresani developed uses models similar to those of text-search engines to filter through a pool of candidates, according to the abstract of his research. The new algorithm is effective for searching through large collections of images, which makes it useful for locating online photos, among other applications.

Torresani's research examines "how this advanced form of similar-image search can be used to organize personal photos, provide semantic annotations, and support content-based clustering of pictures," according to the abstract of his work.

"My research aims to create a radically new type of image search engine, capable of retrieving Web images matching the high-level visual content of a user-supplied photo in fractions of a second," he said in the press release.

Torresani said he will also apply some of the NSF funding to a new class called "Computer Visions" that will be offered to graduate and undergraduate students, according to the press release.

Torresani joined the faculty in 2009, and taught his first class, "Machine Learning and Statistical Data Analysis," in Spring term of 2009.

He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Milan, and prior to arriving at Dartmouth, Torresani worked at Riya, a visual search engine, and at Microsoft Research, based in Cambridge, England.

Other Dartmouth faculty members have also recently received grants from the NSF. Mary Albert, an engineering professor, received funding from the Antarctic Services Division for her research on ice and snow, according to the NSF web site. Mukul Sharma in the earth sciences department was awarded a grant for his work on the origins of the major environmental change that took place approximately 12,900 years ago.

Sergi Elizalde, a mathematics professor, received funding for a study on permutations. Roger Sloboda, a biology professor, and his research looking at the whip-like appendages on cells known as cilia garnered an award, while earth sciences professor Carl Renshaw received funding to create programs with local schools to improve science education in kindergarten through 12th grade.

C. Robertson McClung, a biology professor who has researched the internal circadian clock of plants, also received NSF funding. Albert Erives, a biology professor and an adjunct professor in the computer science department, looked at morphogens, a type of cell that plays an important role in many animal embryos.

Dana Williams, a math professor, received funding to hold a symposium to teach about operator algebra theory.

In the 2009 fiscal year, 58 College professors received awards from the NSF, according to the organization's website.

Torresani could not be reached for comment by press time.