Men's lax falls to Brown in OT

05.03.10.lacrosse_Nicholas Root
05.03.10.lacrosse_Nicholas Root

If the Big Green (5-8, 2-4 Ivy) had won the game it would have made the Ivy League tournament as Harvard University lost to Yale University earlier in the day, giving Dartmouth a chance at a playoff berth.

Head coach Andy Towers said the loss was disheartening because the team was improving.

"It is disappointing for the season to end when we were peaking," he said. "We would have been a tough out in the Ivy League tournament."

Dartmouth trailed Brown (8-5, 4-2 Ivy) for the majority of the afternoon, but continued to battle back.

After the Bears jumped out to an early two-goal lead, co-captain Andy Gagel '10 scored his first goal of the season, bringing the score to 2-1.

The Big Green then traded goals with Brown, making the score 5-3 late in the second quarter.

The Bears scored with a minute left in the half, however, to take its largest lead of the game, 6-3.

Assistant coach Jon Torpey said Dartmouth made adjustments on both sides of the ball at halftime and the changes, along with the hard work of the team, allowed Dartmouth to get back into the game.

After Fergus Campbell '12 made an impressive save to stop a Brown player on a man up opportunity, Pat Flynn '13 notched his first goal of the season, cutting the Brown lead to two.

The score was 8-6 going into the fourth quarter before co-captain Ari Sussman '10 and Rhett Miller '11 each found the back of the net, erasing the Bears' lead and bringing the score to 8-8 with 10 minutes remaining in the game.

Brown would regain the lead minutes later, making it 9-8, before Chris Costabile '13 scored his most important goal of the season.

With a flag down on the Bears, Costabile beat a defender to get a look at the net, tying the game with approximately two minutes left in the contest.

Both the Big Green and Brown had opportunities to win the game in the final two minutes, but neither was able to convert during regulation time.

Towers said that despite missing two quality shots, Dartmouth believed it had the game.

"We thought we were going to win all day long," he said.

With a spot in the Ivy League tournament on the line, the Big Green won the faceoff to start overtime and called a timeout to set up a play. Kip Dooley '12 had an opportunity, but the shot sailed high and Brown regained possession.

The Bears' senior Thomas Muldoon, who already had two goals on the day, earned the final one 2:39 into overtime. Muldoon's game was enough to secure a victory over Dartmouth and send the Bears to the Ivy League tournament.

"We battled back all day," Towers said. "We have nothing to be ashamed of."

According to Torpey, it was because of the seniors that Dartmouth never gave up. Unfortunately, with the team's post-season hopes never materializing, it was the last game of their college careers.

Dartmouth graduates 12 seniors, including its leading scorer Sussman and faceoff specialist Casey Hingtgen '10.

The Big Green will also lose all four of its captains Sussman, Gagel, Towny Swiggett '10 and Chris Root '10 leaving holes on both offense and defense.

Torpey said his next step will be getting back on the road and recruiting athletes who can measure up to the graduating senior class.

"When you represent a school like Dartmouth, you can recruit the best kids in the country and when you can get recruits like this, you have the potential to win a national championship," Towers said.