Women's lacrosse stays unbeaten in Ivy League

04.12.10.news.wlax_kasia vincunas
04.12.10.news.wlax_kasia vincunas

This marks the Big Green's ninth straight win, as well as its fourth consecutive Ivy victory.

"When you go to Cornell, it's a tough trip," head coach Amy Patton said. "We played well enough to win, and I feel proud of us."

Although it could not capitalize on many of its attack chances in the first half, the Big Green still mounted a balanced offense, with seven different players recording a point.

"There were things that could have been better, but overall a win is a win, and winning there is pretty huge," co-captain Colleen Olsen '10 said.

Sarah Parks '12 scored two goals on two shots and is now 13 for 13 in scoring over the last four games. She posts an 88.9 shooting percentage on the season.

Kirsten Goldberg '12 notched a hat trick while Greta Meyer '11, Hana Bowers '13, Sarah Plumb '12 and Erin Massimi '12 also chipped in a goal each.

The defensive effort was a solid one, even without the help of Olsen, the injured top defender.

"Our defense was awesome Kelsey Johnson ['13] and Shannie MacKenzie ['11] played out of their minds," Olsen said.

Goalkeeper Julie Wadland '10 grabbed seven saves and scooped up three ground balls.

The Big Red outshot the Big Green, 17-16, and controlled nine draws to Dartmouth's eight. The Big Green won 21 ground balls to Cornell's 14.

Just over a minute into the first half, Goldberg sank two goals within 36 seconds of one another to give Dartmouth the early lead.

Capitalizing on a turnover from a crease violation to enter a drawn-out offensive possession, the Big Red got onto the scoreboard at 25:47. Cornell's Jessi Steinberg then tied the game up from a free position at 22:24.

After some back-and-forth play in the midfield, Hilary Smith '12 dished a rebound to Parks, who scored to establish a 3-2 Big Green lead.

The Big Red refused to fall behind, as Shannon McHugh and Steinberg both capitalized on free positions to one-up the Big Green at 12:43.

Wadland successfully stopped Cornell's fourth free position of the half, ending the Big Red's scoring momentum and starting a six-goal run for Dartmouth.

"The defense really locked down," Olsen said. "Cornell actually had the ball a lot during that time, but our defense kept making really critical stops and got the ball to our attack."

When the Big Green took the field in the second half, it continued its scoring streak.

Goldberg set the tone of the second half when she scored within just 28 seconds, and then Plumb sank one four minutes later to take the 8-4 lead. Dana Brisbane '12 proceeded to come through with another turnover that went to Meyer and then Massimi for Dartmouth's final goal.

"We had a lot of momentum coming out of the first half, and I think it carried over," Patton said.

Cornell managed to score two more goals in the remainder of the game, but failed to mount a comeback.

"We stalled the ball and did a really good job keeping it out of Cornell's hands," Patton said. "It was pretty impressive for us to be able to do that."

Dartmouth's next matchup is against the University of Pennsylvania squad that is also undefeated in the Ivy League with four wins. The game will be played at home on Saturday at 12 p.m.

"Two unbeaten Ivy League teams is a great situation," Patton said. "I think it's going to be a real dog fight and we couldn't be more excited about it."