VERBUM ULTIMUM: A Minor Move

The Hanover Police Department's recently revised alcohol policy to no longer automatically arrest underage students receiving medical attention for overconsumption if they are eligible for the Alcohol Diversions program has solicited an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the student body ("Many students back police policy changes," April 26). The new policy certainly removes a large obstacle in providing crucial medical assistance to specific groups of students either traditionally responsible students who had an uncharacteristic lapse in judgment or the overeager freshmen who did not realize their limit. This shift encourages students to make a Good Samaritan call for their friends who are dangerously intoxicated for the first time. While we understand the warm reception students gave this announcement, it is important to keep in perspective that this is only one small step in the effort to reform policies surrounding alcohol use. Perhaps a more important effort lies instead in reforming the culture that surrounds drinking at Dartmouth. In fact, Hanover Police's concession is hardly a concession at all and should not be treated as a huge shift in policy prioritizing student safety. Not arresting a student if he or she enrolls in the Diversions program as opposed to expunging the initial arrest from a student's record after they opt to participate in the program renders no difference for the Hanover Police. Instead, the police department comes away looking as though it has taken the initiative to effect positive change without substantially altering its overall policy a smart decision for them, to be sure, but not a meaningful one.

It is no wonder that the Greek community, in particular, is apt to promote this new concession fiercely, as it relieves some of the pressures placed on members who are the usual hosts of campus events with alcohol. But we expected a little more from a student body that raised legitimate concerns in a professional and effective matter when Hanover Police threatened to initiate sting operations and compliance checks in February. Are we as students truly committed to substantive change, or do we only want to be left in peace as we continue to allow and even encourage dangerous behavior?

The only thing this policy creates is a "get out of jail free" card for one-time abusers of alcohol. While we await confirmation from either acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears or Hanover Police about the repercussions for students who have already completed Diversions once and may no longer be eligible for the program, it seems evident that they will still face the same consequences of arrest. The new approach may make students call the first time, but all of the stigmas that previously prevented people from calling for friends who already went through the Diversions program remain in place.

While this shift is a move in the right direction, it is only a small step. The policy change does nothing to mitigate the factors that lead students to drink to the point that they need medical attention. Emily Johnson '12 correctly asserted that students need to re-evaluate their own behavior, rather than rely on the police to change policy ("Beyond H-Policy," April 29). College administrators, students and Greek organizations must realize that small policy changes that read well in press releases are not enough to fix the problems surrounding dangerous drinking habits on campus we need more substantial reform.