Thompson named associate dean

Director of Undergraduate Judicial Affairs April Thompson will be named Associate Dean of the College for Campus Life effective May 1, acting Dean of the College Sylvia Spears announced Thursday.

Thompson's position is the first to be filled of three new positions that were created as a part of a wide-ranging restructuring of the Dean of the College office initiated by Spears in February. An associate dean of Student Support Services and a director of administration will also be created under the changes.

"[Thompson's] key experience in campus life at the College is really important," Spears said in an interview with The Dartmouth. "I anticipate for students it won't feel terribly different. I think the kind of energy and innovation and excitement in that area will serve to enhance students' experience."

In her new position, Thompson will oversee the management of Judicial Affairs, the Collis Center for Student Involvement, Student Activities, the Greek system, residential operations, Dartmouth Dining Services and the Office of Outdoor Programs, among other divisions, according to the statement.

Thompson's immediate goals are to meet with student leaders, to appoint a director of Greek letter organizations and societies, and to implement proposed changes to the structure of student advising, according to Thompson.

Thompson who previously reported directly to Spears as a member of her senior management team will work to "more fully develop and implement the vision of a campus life model," Spears said.

"[Thompson] is largely responsible for the shift away from some of the judicial work being purely punitive," she said. "I think that embodies what [Thompson]'s attitude is trying to make students successful."

Thompson was vetted by a group of faculty members and administrators led by interim Associate Dean of the College Harry Kinne in a search process that began roughly six weeks ago, according to Spears.

"Ultimately, because [Thompson] will report directly to me, I made the final decision and final appointment," Spears said.

Thompson's experience working in the budget reduction process was instrumental in the decision to appoint her to the position, Spears said.

"I have a team of folks I pulled together with expertise in the division who work together with me to ensure that the Dean of the College was able to meet its target while maintaining quality services for students," Spears said. "It's the perfect opportunity for [Thompson]. I'm excited that we've been able to take advantage of her skills in this capacity."

A national search committee will begin reviewing applications next week to find the new Associate Dean of the College for Student Support Services, according to Spears.

"This is a fairly new model of bringing these offices all together under one person in leadership, so it was important that we cast a broad net for this," Spears said. "And the academic aspects of our work are our highest priority."

College officials plan to consolidate the Dean of the College's administrative system, as well as the operation of various students advising services, in order to make it simpler for students to take advantage of available resources.

As part of the restructuring in the Dean of the College office, the dean of Residential Life position was eliminated and several other positions that had previously reported directly to Spears were placed lower in the organizational hierarchy.

Members of the senior management team including Thompson will assist Spears in appointing the other open positions in the Dean of the College office, she said.