Team effort fuels lacrosse victory

04.08.10.sports.wlax_Kasia Vincunas
04.08.10.sports.wlax_Kasia Vincunas

Even though the win marked the Big Green's eighth straight victory, the players were not thrilled with their performance, according to co-captain Eliza Bennett '10.

"We were aware that Siena might not be a top-quality team, but I don't think we took them as seriously as we should have," she said.

Bennett added that the team is not solely concerned with the score of an individual game, but rather how the team competes.

"I think that, as a team, we were a little disappointed in how we performed today," she said.

Seven members of the Big Green (8-1, 3-0 Ivy) registered at least four points, and seven additional players scored goals. Each scorer also recorded an assist, and only three goals were unassisted. Of the team's 27 players, 21 saw playing time.

Sarah Parks '12 scored three goals on three shot attempts, bringing her total for the past three games to 11 goals on 11 attempts. Her total shooting percentage is now 88 percent.

In the backfield, Hilary Smith '12 snagged six ground balls a team high and forced four turnovers, while Colleen Olsen '10 picked up four ground balls and caused three Siena turnovers. Kelsey Johnson '13 also posted a strong performance, controlling five draws and notching three ground balls.

Julie Wadland '10 and Chelsea Kirk '10 each contributed a save for Dartmouth, while Kristin Concordia of Siena (4-6, 0-1 MAAC) had six.

The Big Green amassed a total of 28 ground balls and 28 shots on goal to Siena's 18 and 11, respectively. Dartmouth also forced 18 of Siena's 24 turnovers.

The Big Green opened the game with a quick 5-0 run, setting the tone for the rest of the day.

Sarah Plumb '12 and Greta Meyer '11 joined forces for the opening goals of the game.

Kirsten Goldberg '12 got in on the action at 23:19 with an unassisted goal. Soon after, Hana Bowers '13 sought out an open Meyer, who put away her second of the game. Fifteen seconds later, Plumb assisted Bowers on the game's fifth goal.

At 18:29, Siena's Caitlin Mikel broke the Big Green's momentum and put the Saints on the board, but Dartmouth responded with another scoring run, this time amassing three goals in less than three minutes.

First, Abigail Holden '11 assisted Goldberg at 16:39, followed by a pass from Plumb to Smith, who found the back of the net. Finally, Holden upped the margin to seven with a free position score.

Siena's Kristin McMillan notched her team's second goal on a free position, but the Big Green responded with its second three-goal run in less than three minutes.

At the end of the run, the scoreboard read 11-2 with 6:23 left to play.

Before the half ended, each team upped its score by one. Michelle Andreo scored one for the Saints, and, with five seconds until halftime, Smith scored one for the Big Green off of a Parks assist.

Dartmouth opened the second half with yet another three-goal run to push the score to 14-2.

For the remainder of the game, the two teams went back and forth on the scoreboard.

Erin Hepper of the Saints cut her team's deficit to 11, but Meyer quickly retaliated with her 25th goal of the season to keep the lead at 12.

When Siena's McMillan scored on a free position, it was Holden who responded with a goal for the Big Green. Andreo of Siena made one last attempt to outdo Dartmouth on a free position score, but Goldberg netted the final goal of the game to silence the Saints' efforts.

The Dartmouth women are scheduled to take on Cornell University this weekend in their fourth Ivy League matchup of the season.

According to Bennett, the Big Red's recent upset of Princeton University was a wake-up call for the Big Green

"It really put them on the radar for us," she said.

Dartmouth will travel to Ithaca, N.Y., to take on Cornell this Saturday at 12 p.m.