Editor's Note

I'm no Rip Van Winkle but I feel like I've just woken up into a bizarre alternate world of smartphone dominance. Dartmouth used to be a blitz haven, but I know the best way to reach my friends now is by text. If they're responding to blitzes right away, chances are it's because they've got the program in their pocket, not on their laptop. These new technologies are like campus-wide contagions that just can't be stopped. Smartphones are the new swine flu it seems. Maybe I'm just bitter because I hate to text and so I wish everyone would call each other instead.But I think the real reason is that I'm sad about the imminent end of blitz and I see no reason to rush it. Seriously, stop blitzing me weirdly formatted things from your Gmail account or your Verizon BlackBerry. Where's the Dartmouth spirit?In the end though, regardless of the technology we'll probably be communicating the same college-kid messages. I'm sure there were frontdoor whiteboard versions of morning-after messages and students wrote each other I'm-dying-in-the-library letters even before blitz was invented. Some things just never change. Which brings me to you, '14s. I'm so jealous of the four years of Dartmouth that are ahead of you. Have a great Dimensions!