Daily Debriefing

The Legal Defense Coalition, with the support of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, filed a lawsuit April 1 calling for an increase in programming funds for Georgia's three public historically black colleges, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Friday. The lawsuit charges the University System of Georgia, the Board of Regents and the governor with violating parts of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The two civil rights organizations hope to win more funding for research and graduate programs at Savannah State, Albany State and Fort Valley State Universities, which they say receive less funding than the state's other universities, according to The Journal-Constitution. Although John Millsaps, spokesman for the University System of Georgia, said he had not seen a copy of the lawsuit and could not comment on pending litigation, he noted that the historically black colleges generally receive more funding per student than other state schools of a similar size, The Journal-Constitution reported.

New research by University of British Columbia sociology professor Neil Gross and graduate student Catherine Cheng supports the theory that academics are more liberal than average citizens due to self-selection, Inside Higher Ed reported. Gross and Cheng conducted interviews with 66 biology, business, economics, engineering, English and sociology professors and found that 71 percent had formed their political views before the age of 25. Engineering and economics were the only fields in which less than half of interviewed professors experienced "early political socialization." The research could also support the theory of bias in the hiring process in academic fields, although previous research suggests that self-selection plays a greater role, according to Inside Higher Ed.

After initially supporting the Obama administration's $4 billion "Race to the Top" education grant competition, governors from several states have criticized the initiative because only two states have received grant money, The New York Times reported Sunday. Of the 40 states that submitted applications, 16 were named finalists in early March. Only Tennessee and Delaware received money, winning $500 million and $100 million respectively. Gov. Bill Ritter Jr. D-Colo., an initial supporter of the grant competition, criticized the anonymous judging of the grant proposals, The Times reported. Officials from other states criticized a new cap on award money that would require many states to revise their proposals if they choose to reapply for grant money. Officials from at least seven states have not decided whether they will reapply to win the remaining money, which will be distributed to up to 15 states in September.