Cormier named basketball coach

04.22.10.sports.paul cormier
04.22.10.sports.paul cormier

"We're thrilled to have coach Cormier returning to Dartmouth," Ceplikas said in an e-mail to The Dartmouth. "He made a terrific impression on everyone he met during the interview process, including our current players."

Cormier succeeds Terry Dunn, who compiled a record of 47-103 prior to announcing his resignation before Dartmouth's game against Harvard University on Jan. 9. Assistant coach Mark Graupe served as interim head coach for the remainder of the season, going 2-12 in his 14 games at the helm.

"We need him to bring what he knows about the game," Ronnie Dixon '11, Dartmouth's leading scorer last season, said. "Based upon his resume and experience I think he'll be a good fit for us." Cormier will be formally introduced in a press conference at 1:30 p.m. on Monday.

"I am thrilled to be back again as part of the Dartmouth community," Cormier said in a press release. "Everything I heard throughout the selection process was that men's basketball needs to be built into a successful program not just a competitive one, but one that vies for the Ivy championship on an annual basis. That is exactly why I am here. But it will take a collaborative effort with everyone being committed to that common goal."

Cormier is unavailable for further comment until Monday due to a family emergency.

Dartmouth is coming off a tumultuous 5-23 (1-13 Ivy) season that was marked by inconsistent play.

"[Last year] was rough and a bit messy," Dixon said. "We showed potential, but it wasn't there the whole season. Next year we'll have a fresh start, and that's what the program needed."

In addition to the resignation of Dunn, three players left the team last season. Garrett Brown '13 and Marlon Sanders '09 were arrested for marijuana possession and intent to distribute, causing Sanders to be kicked off the team. Brown had already left the team prior to his arrest in order to focus on his music career.

Jarrett Mathis '09, who was had served as captain of the team during the 2008-09 season, quit the team last season, further trimming the Big Green roster to just 12 players.

Dartmouth's five wins last year were the fewest since the Big Green went 3-25 in 2003-04. Dartmouth also failed to pick up a win on the road last year by double digits in all but one of their road losses.

"It will take a collaborative effort with everyone being committed toward contending for Ivy League championships, " Cormier said in the release.

The former Big Green coach returns to Dartmouth after a year spent as a scout for the NBA's Golden State Warriors. While with the Warriors, Cormier scouted Eastern Conference opponents and collegiate players. Cormier also spent time with several other NBA organizations, including the New York Knicks, Boston Celtics, Memphis Grizzlies and New Jersey Nets.

Cormier has drawn nationwide praise including the likes of University of Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, whose team plays in the Big East Conference.

"Paul Cormier's hiring is an absolute home run for Dartmouth," Calhoun said in the release. "He has an incredible basketball IQ and there is no person that would fit better for Dartmouth."

Calhoun has won 823 games and two NCAA championships in 38 years as a Division I head coach.

Prior to his time in the NBA, Cormier served as the head coach at Fairfield University for seven years, going 86-111 while earning one conference title and one NCAA tournament berth. In 1997, as a 16 seed, Fairfield lost a hard-fought 82-74 game to the University of North Carolina, the number one seed in the East Region. Another number 16 seed has only come within 10 points of a number one seed once since that time.

Cormier also served as an assistant at Bentley College from 1978-1980 and later at Villanova University from 1980-1984. The year after Cormier left Villanova, the Wildcats shocked Georgetown to win the 1985 NCAA championship, with many of the players that Cormier helped to recruit.

"His recruiting track record at Villanova, Dartmouth and Fairfield was exceptional, and he has developed an incredible recruiting network, both nationally and internationally, while scouting for NBA teams," Ceplikas said.