Baseball completes four-game sweep of Yale University

04.21.10.sports.baseball
04.21.10.sports.baseball

"The sweep was big," O'Dowd said. "Every game at this point in our season is going to mean a lot."

In game one, a few errors by the Bulldogs (16-17-1, 3-9 Ivy) and a strong effort from starting pitcher Kyle Hendricks '12 carried the Big Green to victory. Hendricks, who was roughed up in his last start against the University of Pennsylvania, pitched all seven innings for Dartmouth, throwing only 76 pitches. He allowed just two runs while striking out five and walking zero.

"I was able to locate my four seam fastball and my changeup was really working for me today," Hendricks said.

Head coach Bob Whalen said he was pleased with his starting pitcher's performance as well.

"Hendricks was very good," Whalen said. "He did a good job getting ahead [in counts] with his fastball. He made really good location pitches."

The Big Green got on the board early, taking a 2-0 lead in the second off of an RBI single from Zack Bellenger '13 and an RBI triple from Jason Brooks '11. The real trouble for the Bulldogs, though, came in the bottom of the third, when three Yale errors contributed to a four-run inning for Dartmouth.

Jake Carlson '12 drew a walk off of pitcher Brook Hart to begin the inning and catcher O'Dowd was able to reach first when Bulldogs rightfielder Andrew Kolmar dropped a fly ball. A subsequent bunt single by Joe Sclafani '12 loaded the bases for Jim Wren '10.

Wren then hit a ground ball to first baseman Trygg Larsson-Danforth, who threw to second for the double play. Larsson-Danforth's throw was offline, however, bouncing off the helmet of Sclafani and into the head of shortstop Matt Schmidt. Everyone was safe, and O'Dowd and Carlson both scored on the play, giving Dartmouth a 4-0 lead.

Schmidt had to leave the game, unfortunately, due to his head injury.

The Big Green managed to drive in two more runs before the end of the inning, giving Dartmouth a 6-0 lead. Although Yale eventually got on the board, scoring two runs, the Bulldogs were not able to mount a comeback, as the Big Green won easily 8-2.

In game two, Kyle Hunter '13 gave another strong performance for the Big Green, going 5.1 innings while allowing two runs. Hunter ranks second on the team with a 3.31 ERA.

"Even though [Hunter] wasn't at his best today, he still kept us in the game and gave us an opportunity to come back," Whalen said.

Despite 3.1 scoreless innings from Cole Sulser '12 in relief of Hunter, Dartmouth still trailed, 2-1, heading to the bottom of the eighth inning.

Sam Bean '11 began the 8th by drawing a walk and a sacrifice bunt by Carlson gave the Big Green a runner in scoring position with just one out. An RBI single by Sclafani tied the game at two, and after a scoreless ninth, the game headed towards extra innings.

After Ryan Smith '11 shut down the Bulldogs in the top of the 10th, Bean hit a one-out single up the middle in the bottom of the inning. Two batters later, O'Dowd hit a line drive to left field to score Bean, giving Dartmouth its fourth walk-off win of the season.

"I wasn't thinking about anything [during the at bat], just hitting," O'Dowd said.

O'Dowd has been consistently effective in late game situations at the plate for the Big Green this season.

Dartmouth currently sits tied for first with Brown University in the Ivy League's Rolfe Division, with each school sporting an 8-4 record in conference play.

The Big Green concludes its 12-game home stand today with a 3:30 p.m. game against St. Anselm College. The team will then head to Providence this weekend for a four-game series with Brown University that will likely decide the Rolfe Division title.