A Guide to Gracious Living

The word etiquette brings to mind white-gloved girls, pearls and afternoon tea. At Dartmouth, well-mannered might not mean being quite so strait-laced, but words of wisdom could certainly remind us of a daintier time. So here's some expert (read: outdated) advice from the 1963 "Amy Vanderbilt's New Complete Book of Etiquette."

On Kissing in Public - "It isn't the kiss, it's the too obvious enjoyment or prolongation of it that should be avoided in public places. Love-making should be a private pursuit. Of course, if a man does greet a woman in public with a kiss, he must remove his hat entirely."

On Entertaining Indoors - "I never fail to be somewhat alarmed at the extent of my correspondence from people who want to know how to enteratin their guests after dinner of luncheon. What games should we play?' they ask.

On Blind Dates (or Drunk Goggles) - "I know of many happy marriages that resulted from blind dates, even of a few that resulted and have been happy when the initial impression on the part of the girl was bad for one reason or another."

On Greetings - "In greeting people we say, "How do you do?" We do not really expect an answer, but it is all right to reply, "Very well, thank you," even if it is a blue Monday and you feel far from. No one wants a clinical discussion in response to this purely rhetorical question. In fact, you may answer Socratically with "How do you do?" expecting, and getting, no answer."

On Playing (Pong) Bridge - "It is always best, when possible, to put the bridge players off by themselves in another room if at least half the guests prefer to talk. If space permits, the tables can be set up during dinner and placed in such a way that it doesn't seem essential for every guest to take part. It is quite possible for two or more guests not wishing to play to have a pleasant evening by themselves in a roomful of bridge addicts. But unlikely, I should say."