Tennis teams have strong showing at ECAC tournament

02.16.10.sports.tennis
02.16.10.sports.tennis

The win over Princeton by the Dartmouth women's team (7-1, 0-0 Ivy) marked the first time the current senior class ever defeated the Tigers.

Both teams earned convincing first-round victories. For the men (6-2, 0-0 Ivy), Dan Freeman '10 and Michael Laser '12 led in doubles while the singles players achieved a sweep of ninth seed Sacred Heart University.

On the women's side, the fifth-seeded Big Green team faced fourth-seeded Brown in the first round. Molly Scott '11 and Mary Beth Winingham '10 continued their undefeated doubles run by knocking off the Bears' Casey Herzberg and Bianca Aboubakare the ITA Northeast Region's top pair.

In singles competition, Winingham, Sarah Leonard '13 and co-captain Jesse Adler '10 contributed straight-set wins to an overall 5-2 team victory. The match was the most physical the Big Green has played all year, Adler said.

On the second day of competition, both Big Green teams had tough matchups against top Ivy teams. The women's team faced No. 47 Princeton and the men saw reigning Ivy League champion Columbia University.

Women's doubles set the tone early by sweeping all three matches. Scott and Winingham continued to overwhelm elite competition, besting the No. 16 Tiger pair of Hilary Bartlett and Taylor Marable.

Dartmouth's top three singles players Scott, Leonard and Winingham all registered straight-set victories. The 4-3 win over the Tigers ensured the Big Green a spot in the final of the tournament.

"The key to beating Princeton was our depth," Adler said. "Any time you have 13 girls going for the same goal, it will most likely lead to success."

Despite the effort of Stephen Greif '11, who earned the lone Dartmouth point in the 6-1 defeat against Columbia, the Big Green was overmatched by the Lions.

"We knew that if we wanted to beat [Columbia], we had to play a near-perfect match," co-captain Curtis Roby '11 said. "We didn't play very well and they are a really tough team."

On the final day of the championships, the men's team bounced back to take on St. John's University. In a singles-only format, Dartmouth was able to secure a 4-2 win the best victory of the season, according to Roby.

In the deciding match of the day, co-captain Jeff Friedman '10 clinched the Big Green victory with a tie-break win in the second set.

At first singles, Freeman pulled out a win over the Red Storm's Pavel Cerny, while Roby and Chris Ho '12 contributed straight-set victories.

On the women's side, the Big Green lost to Yale University, 4-0, in the final of the tournament in a shortened format. Once the Bulldogs clinched a win with the doubles point and three singles matches, the remaining matches were suspended.

Yale's Vicky Brook and Lindsay Clark ended Scott and Winingham's undefeated run in doubles on Sunday.