Men's, women's swim teams pick up two victories each

02.02.10.sports.wswimming
02.02.10.sports.wswimming

"It was really exciting to see people step up Saturday morning and really turn it on," women's co-captain Catherine Armstrong '10 said. "You could tell that people were really amped on swimming well and we were excited to see [them] do so well."

The women (2-8, 0-5 Ivy) won a total of 11 events on Saturday taking first in all but two individual events. Three of the women came away with multiple wins Elizabeth Kamai '12 earned the top spot in the 50-yard free style and the 100-yard free. Rookie Charlotte Williams '13 posted yet another solid performance, winning both the 100-yard breaststroke and the 400-yard IM. Erica Serpico '12 continued her five-meet winning streak by taking first in the one-meter and three-meter dives.

"After the first event on Saturday morning, we were 26 points behind," co-captain Carolyn Rippe '10 said. "To see us turn it around and everyone step up and race was really incredible."

The BC meet came down to the 200-meter breaststroke, when the Dartmouth women finished second to Maine, but won the overall meet by out-touching the Eagles, Williams said.

Other winners included Caitlin Nicholson '12 in the 100-meter butterfly, Isa Guardalabene '13 in the 100-meter backstroke and Virginia Selden '11 in the 200-meter butterfly. Maddie Steiner '11 also won the 200-meter medley, narrowly defeating her competition by less than a second.

After a close loss to BC last year, the Big Green men (3-7, 0-5 Ivy) pulled off a decisive victory this time around beating the Eagles by over 40 points in addition to overwhelming Maine by over 200 points.

"Our training is finally paying off and we're getting that extra push at the end of races," men's co-captain Scott Sorensen '10 said. "Some guys really hit their stride and it was fun to see."

Albert Roth '13 was a force for the Big Green, taking the 400-yard IM, the 200-yard butterfly and the 200-yard breaststroke. Mickey Ahern '12 also had a strong performance, earning victories in the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke events.

The men swept the top three spots in the 100-yard butterfly, and Mikey Brown '11 won the three-meter dive by over twenty points.

This Wednesday, the women take on the University of New Hampshire in their last home meet at 1 p.m., while the men's next meet is against Columbia University in New York City on the Feb. 13 at noon. Although both teams struggled initially this season, head coach Jim Wilson said that this is the right time for the Big Green to reap the benefits of its hard work.

"We're fine tuning what we've done and just getting better at what we've continued to do," Wilson said. "It's all paying off for us."