Dartmouth swimming prepares for Ivy meet

The Dartmouth men's and women's swimming and diving teams are looking to end their seasons on a high note at the Ivy League Championships.

The men (3-8, 0-7 Ivy) finished in last place at the meet last year, while the women (2-11, 0-7 Ivy) edged out Brown University in the last few races to take sixth place overall.

"Last year's performance at Ivies was probably the highlight of my career at that point," women's co-captain Catherine Armstrong '10 said.

The men's team is ranked eighth in the league, but has its eyes set on finally beating Brown the team it narrowly lost to last year.

"To finally be able to [beat Brown] would be a great finish to my and [co-captain] Cary [Stathopoulos '10]'s careers," men's co-captain Scott Sorensen '10 said.

Stathopoulos and Sorensen are the only seniors on the men's team, while the women have four seniors Armstrong, women's co-captain Carolyn Rippe '10, Kathleen Brady '10 and Kelly O'Callaghan '10.

To prepare itself physically, the team has been having shorter practices and is focusing on more race-oriented drills that allow the swimmers to concentrate on the details of each event, he said.

"Historically, we've been a team that tapers really well," Sorensen said. "We swim well during the season, but during the championship we really turn it on and show what we've got."

The women are also ranked eighth headed into the championships.

"[Brown and Cornell] both beat us during the season, but if you look at last year, we beat them both at Ivies," Armstrong said. "We have a tradition of performing well [at Ivies]."

Erica Serpico '12 undefeated in both the one-meter and three-meter dive events for the past eight meets is hoping to maintain her standard of performance, she said.

The women's Ivy League Championships will be held Thursday through Saturday at Harvard University, while the men's championships will take place next week at Princeton University, March 4-6.