Daily Debriefing

William Davies '44, a World War II veteran and long-time radio broadcaster, died Feb. 9 at the age of 87 in Williamsburg, VA, according to The Montclair Times. Born in Scranton, Pa., Davies graduated early from the College to enlist in the U.S. Navy in 1943, The Times reported. He was among the first U.S. soldiers to land in Japan after the war ended in 1945, according to The Times. Davies worked as the program director of a Beirut, Lebanon-based evangelical radio program for the United Presbyterian Church, and he and his family were evacuated from Lebanon in 1967 during the Six-Day War. Before retiring in 1987, Davies worked to raise funds and awareness for social and community organizations. Davies is survived by his wife Nancy, their three children and five grandchildren, according to The Times.

The Tuck School of Business recently received an "innovation award" for its pilot program for Native American students interested in business, according to a Feb. 17 Tuck press release. Tuck's pilot program which immersed 13 rising high school seniors in a month-long business program was part of its 13th annual Leadership Education and Development program, according to the release. Tuck has participated in LEAD a national partnership between corporations and business schools that promotes students of diverse backgrounds towards careers in business since 1997, according to the release. Tuck was selected for the award over the eight other business schools that sponsor LEAD programs, the release stated.

Grafton County ranked first among counties in New Hampshire for overall health, according to a nationwide study that ranked counties by 28 health indicators, the Union Leader reported. The County Health Rankings 2010 report, published by the Robert Wood Johnson foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, measured indicators such as exposure to second-hand smoke, access to parks, percentage of uninsured residents, murder rates, birth weights, chlamydia infection rates, graduation rates, eating habits and liquor store densities. Coos County, Grafton County's neighbor to the north, was ranked New Hampshire's least healthy county. Dr. Jose Montero, New Hampshire's director of public health, told the Union Leader the study would help officials target areas in particular need of public health initiatives to combat smoking and childhood obesity.